Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

2019 Shasta 18fq power problem?

Hi everyone
I am new to rving and have a problem them I have searched but not found a solution.

So we took delivery of our trailer a week ago and during the walk through the 120 system didnt work on their plug. They said it was overloaded with alot of other trailers plugged in. They moved it to a new plug and everything worked as expected.
We took the trailer last weekend to a park and plugged in and everything worked great. I wanted to be able to plug in at home so I ordered a dogbone adapter. I went to plug in and I get nothing. Could this be the same low power problem as the dealer? Is there a power threshold for these newer trailers? If I need to have a 30 amp plug installed on my house I am ok with that. Just curious about why this is happening. I hope you all can help.
Dave

Dgrantdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

Did you try putting acid on or something and drew too much current? Or that doggone is bad. Check circuit breaker

dodgemark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

Sorry auto correct ac I meant
Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

I am getting power lights on my cord after the dogbone
Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

And I'm not getting microwave or ac. Or 110 to fridge for that matter. Also no outlets. So nothing basically
Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

No 120v? Outside plugs? Inverter power?

This will sound ridiculous...did you check all breakers inside? I suggest you turn them all off and back on.

Next step. You or someone you know check the voltage at the buss bars. There have been several reports of connections loose at the plug and the breaker or buss bar.

Try a different plug?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #7

My concern is that I have the main rv cord attached to the dogbone which is attached to a 20 foot extension cord. Maybe that extension cord is not thick enough? I checked all breakers. It almost seems like there is a power threshold that needs to be there or it wont work. And given the thing that happened at the dealer and how they seemed used to it maybe that is the case I dunno. But I would like to be able to charge my battery while at home. So I need to figure out what is going on
Old 05-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrantdoherty View Post
My concern is that I have the main rv cord attached to the dogbone which is attached to a 20 foot extension cord. Maybe that extension cord is not thick enough? I checked all breakers. It almost seems like there is a power threshold that needs to be there or it wont work. And given the thing that happened at the dealer and how they seemed used to it maybe that is the case I dunno. But I would like to be able to charge my battery while at home. So I need to figure out what is going on
It's possible, a long extension cord loses the amps, especially if it's a regular extension cor
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrantdoherty View Post
My concern is that I have the main rv cord attached to the dogbone which is attached to a 20 foot extension cord. Maybe that extension cord is not thick enough? I checked all breakers. It almost seems like there is a power threshold that needs to be there or it wont work. And gin the thing that happened at the dealer and how they seemed used to it maybe that is the case I dunno. But I would like to be able to charge my battery while at home. So I need to figure out what is going on
You have not mentioned WHAT COACH you have. High end stuff may have a power protector that will not except low or bad voltage.

Are you 30 amp or 50 amp? Dogbones, especially Cheap Chinese ones and cheap Chinese power cords often have PLUGS that make no or poor contact and often arc and get hot. Trace the voltage at every point. Plug a lamp or portable space heater in to the extension cord. See if that works. Is the fan motor sagging? Many household or garden extension cords barely carry voltage and voltage drops bad bad bad and over heat and catch fire. Does it arc when you plug in? If it doesn't, you may have the power to coach shut off or you are not getting power. Even Just the Microwave, Clock lite and converter/charger in my coach can make a big big arc if I plug in without shutting off either the breaker to the cord or the main breaker in the trailer I get a pretty good arc then with my old cheapy dogbone, NOTHING

Good luck It is not magic, it is electricity.
2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
It's possible, a long extension cord loses the amps, especially if it's a regular extension cor

A light weight cord, especially a long one will SUFFER VOLTAGE DROP if you put a load on it and the Amperage with then heat the cord up. If a cord will not carry the amperage load you are putting on it, and trying to put through it, the VOLTAGE WILL DROP and then the amperage will be increased and heat up the cord to a danger level, even fire.

If you can try to get someone who is familiar with coaches and electricity and it will probably some small problem that you can solve.

2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
You have not mentioned WHAT COACH you have. High end stuff may have a power protector that will not except low or bad voltage.
Tom, the OP put the RV brand and model in the title of this thread, Shasta 18FQ.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #12

I learned the hard way last summer it was Canada day weekend I plugged in our old 1999 cougar I used the heavy 30amp cord but I was still about 6ft short of the garage plug so I just grabbed my trusty extension cord and put the adapter on. I never thought of it but a few hours later ac running kids in and out of trailer packing for the long weekend. I went to unplug the adapter and after the first shock of grabbing a pile of soft melting rubber that should have been in a solid state. The blades of the adapter pulled right out of the goo sending a pretty good jolt into me. Use the thickest gauge wiring you can afford. The longer the extension cord the more heat or the thinner it is the worst it is. I went right out bought another 25ft 30amp. I wonít ever do that again. Iím just glad I didnít ask one of my girls to unplug it.

AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shasta