Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

2701SS roof repair

I have a 06 Rockwood 2701ss. I need to replace the roof because it is sagging and leaking. I remove most of the rubber roof and what looked like 1/8 plywood that was rotten. Its only rotten 8' from the front and 10' in the back.the middle part of the roof is still in good shape.But I don't see any joist only the aluminum wall joist on each side.It looks like 1/8 plywood glued to 3' foam. Do I have to buy this foam and plywood glued together and replace it from wall to wall? Or can I just run 1/2 plywood over top of the foam from wall to wall?
marknn1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

I'm very near having to do the same. Mine is not leaking at all, never did as far as I can tell. It seems my 1/8" Luan skin is buckled upward. It has gotten wet from interior condensation under the rubber roof ( most of my camping is cold weather with lots of interior heat). Also I keep an Adco cover on TT?? When not using it This may have been a mistake, not breathing.
I don't think you can easily remove the Luan skin from the foam. The joists are there, just be careful on foot placement.
For that reason I would remove the damaged Luan if you can, and re skin entire roof with 1/8" Luan again, prior to new rubber roof.
If you use 1/2" this will adversely effect the edges, and the AC unit on the roof will be raised along with the skylights.
There are several you tube videos I have watched, in preparing myself for the dreaded task. BTY mine is 2004 FR Flagstaff 26SS

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Well I got everything off the roof and pulled up all the rubber today. In the front by the skylight it must have been leaking.So I removed about 6 of plywood. A thin layer was still stuck to the foam. The roof has a sag there now. So I took a piece of ¼ plywood and put it from front to back to take out the sag in the middle. Then glued it down with liquid nail now I'm going to overlay the whole roof with ¼ plywood. On both sides of the TT the laun plywood has water damage about 1' from the side. The middle section is still good. So I will liquid nail and screw the middle part. The back of the TT to the AC has some serious water damage.Not sure what to do but I think I'm going to have to rip out the foam and some how run some roof joist.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #4

roof repair 27ss

No turning back now. Really into it. Odd you have a sag given that I think the joists are aluminum structure. I could be wrong not knowing the model. Curious if you watched the several you tube videos on line. Pretty straight forward, but most advise getting another pair of hands for help with the rubber. Are you using EPDM ? And where are you getting it. There is an on line source that sells with a package deal meaning all the sealants and caulk and Eterna Bond tape etc etc along with helpful directions and tips.. Good luck. Post some pics when you can or PM me, and I'll do the same, when I get started.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

No I have not found any videos that had the aluminum structure like mine( 06 Rockwood 2701ss). All the vids I have seen have 2x4 joist. I followed the aluminum frame on the side walls back 8' from the front and have not seen 1 joist from side to side. Not sure if they run from the front to back. There are 2 joist in the rear of the camp that run side to side under the ac. I'm going back with the TPO from alpha systems. I got 27' of the TPO and 2 gal of the glue and 100' of butyl tape for $330 off of eBay. Ill take some picture this weekend
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

2701ss roof repair

Great thx for update. Look fwd to pics. Hard to imagine no joists. Can't imagine it would support snow loads etc.. Good luck. Yes I believe mine is also TPO vs EPDM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #7

Well I finally got the roof on and everything back on there. Just got some sealing to do. I didn't get a chance to take many pictures had a lot going on and trying to fix the roof at the same time. But here are some pics.There was 8' between the rear of the rv and the joist for the AC. So I had to cut out all the foam in that area and added 2x3 joist. Then insulated it with some 30r insulation and I over layed the whole roof with 1/4 plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_163602.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	108103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_163606.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	108104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_170658.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	108105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160420_171303.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	108106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160424_190144.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	108107  

Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #8

Roof repair

nice job. And thanks for sharing. Funny I owned a roofing company for forty years, more than my share of worn knees and work shoes. Now Retired and too close to 70 that I took the easy route.
Traded mine in on a newer 2013 (not FR) TT. Good luck, and thx for the pics.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Thanks for posting this. It will certainly help someone in the future.

It shows that it can be done.

Tags
roo, repair, 2701ss, roof, roof repair