Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
2nd AC Questions

I just bought a 2012 Sierra 32 QBBS. The camper is set up for 50amp service and is prewired for the 2nd AC. My question is how will it be controlled? Will it work off the main AC switch or will it have it's own switch? My concern is that my camper is prewired to the front bunkroom where the kids sleep. Can it be on Low while the main unit is on high? The next question is how much will it cost to add the 2nd AC unit if my camper is pre-wired? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00063-20110924-1056.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	9377  

shane1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Just picked up a new XLR fiver last weekend. Has the second AC already in the bedroom. Since it was ordered from the factory that way it has it's own mounted wall switch. I don't think they put the switch in if it's not a factory install, so the controls will be on the AC unit itself. As long as you are plugged into 50 amps, you can run both AC's at the same time, high/low doesn't matter. One note though, I was really shocked at how loud the bedroom AC is. Sounds like a jet in there, and it didn't get much quieter when the compressor cycled off. Wife is a very light sleeper, so I can't wait to test this out on an actual camping weekend.

MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Tim & Lisa Trempert
You can get a rooftop AC for between $500 and $700 and install it yourself. It's pretty simple if you have a rooftop vent where the A/C goes - if not, I would suggest a dealer before you start cutting through your roof! You want to make sure you get a ducted unit if yours is ducted (probably is) as I'm guessing the ducting is already in the ceiling. Make sure the unit you get will line up with the ductwork in your ceiling. The 2nd unit will typically run on its own thermostat and it is wired to the opposite phase of the 50 amp circuit as the other unit so they each pull off of different circuits when running.
Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Looking at the picture in your post, it looks like you will be replaceing the roof vent in the bedroom with the ac. My only thoughts is make sure you get a low profile unit. If you go with standard height it may take you over the 13'6" over all height.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
I agree with MightyMike's post about the noise. We have a 2011 Berkshire that sounds like we're on the tarmac ready for take-off also. In some campgrounds, it serves to drown out the sounds form noisy and inconsiderate neighbors. We really do ramp up the volume on our TV's when the AC units are on and our coach seeoms so peaceful and quiet when we turn them off. I've had other coaches before and the noise level in these new generation ac/heat pump units is markedly higher. Anyone up for some earplugs?
mf4110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
I just got a 2012 V-Cross 5er and it has 50 amp with two factory installed AC's, 15,000 in the livinging area with a wall controler and a 13,500 in the bedroom, you lose the vent, no wall controler for bedroom unit. Controls for bedroom unit are on unit and yes it is a little loud, good thing that the wife and me are sound sleepers.

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote