Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

2nd trip with new camper and 12v fridge dead

Furrion 10cu 12v fridge dead!!! No light, no blown fuse, no breaker tripped, on battery or plugged in 110 so anyone got any ideas? Fridge flat out dead and needs replacement already.... Only 3 months old!!!!
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

Check your 12v power. That is typically the problem from what I have seen when nothing comes on. Without 12v power nothing works even with 110v. If it lights up but won't cool then that is a different problem.

It could always be a control board bit it's free to check connections.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

In addition to the obvious fuse in the DC distribution panel, there are also fuses in a box on the back side of the fridge. You will have to open the outside cover panel and then take the cover off the electronic control box to access them. Depending on model there will be 1 or 2 fuses on the control board. If the control board fuse is out or there is no 12v, it will normally *NOT* work on 110v either as it still needs that control board to work.

Edit --------------

I pulled up the user manual for the Furrion 12v 10 cu ft fridge. It has 2 fuses in the schematic, but it does not reference where they are in the manual. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you exactly where to look or you can call Furrion Customer Service and ask?

If I looked at the right unit, this is a 12v compressor driven fridge/freezer and not a absorption unit like in a lot of units. No 110v or LP gas, just 12v power to run it. Looks like a nice fridge.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #4

There is no outside back panel cuz it's the 12V only model so are there still fuses behind the fridge itself? When I parked it from our last trip I turned the temp dial to 0 so the fridge wouldn't run but without a battery disconnect the battery eventually drained because of the fridge light on and a couple other always on items.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

I agree with earlier responses. You first need to ensure 12v is actually getting to the fridge. A mulitmeter will help.

Not sure if this will help because my situation was a little different, but when my dealer added a second battery, they hooked up the new battery to the fridge but not to the other battery, so it wasnt being charged. Might be something to check.

Are other 12v items working?
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #6

According to the manual, the fridge has an actual 'OFF' setting on the control. You should have been able to turn it completely off.

Furrion only announced their 12V fridge on Oct. 3rd of this year, are you sure it's not the EverChill fridge that you have? Pictures of the EverChill have a dial that is numbered from 0 to 9 it appears.

The picture I attached from the manual is the control on the Furrion. The picture with the hand shown is the Everchill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	everchill.PNG
Views:	247
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	217462  
Attached Images

Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Seems like the fuses would be easily accessible (vs removing the fridge). Is here an access panel in the front lower or upper part of the fridge?
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Check your 12v power. That is typically the problem from what I have seen when nothing comes on. Without 12v power nothing works even with 110v. If it lights up but won't cool then that is a different problem.

It could always be a control board bit it's free to check connections.
Yes I checked every way possible. All 12v items on battery. It's dead, dead no light in the fridge working
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
In addition to the obvious fuse in the DC distribution panel, there are also fuses in a box on the back side of the fridge. You will have to open the outside cover panel and then take the cover off the electronic control box to access them. Depending on model there will be 1 or 2 fuses on the control board. If the control board fuse is out or there is no 12v, it will normally *NOT* work on 110v either as it still needs that control board to work.

Edit --------------

I pulled up the user manual for the Furrion 12v 10 cu ft fridge. It has 2 fuses in the schematic, but it does not reference where they are in the manual. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you exactly where to look or you can call Furrion Customer Service and ask?

If I looked at the right unit, this is a 12v compressor driven fridge/freezer and not a absorption unit like in a lot of units. No 110v or LP gas, just 12v power to run it. Looks like a nice fridge.
This is the 12v only fridge.... No back panel and no roof vent.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammingnc View Post
According to the manual, the fridge has an actual 'OFF' setting on the control. You should have been able to turn it completely off.

Furrion only announced their 12V fridge on Oct. 3rd of this year, are you sure it's not the EverChill fridge that you have? Pictures of the EverChill have a dial that is numbered from 0 to 9 it appears.

The picture I attached from the manual is the control on the Furrion. The picture with the hand shown is the Everchill.

Yes u r right it is an everchill. Dial set to 0 stops everything but the light. My light is off.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Seems like the fuses would be easily accessible (vs removing the fridge). Is here an access panel in the front lower or upper part of the fridge?
Yup, like I've been saying I've checked every possible combination. Fuse, breaker.... Etc
Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #12

It's dead, dead!! 😁

Talked to dealer and he says he's been seeing alot of these style fridges take a crap. He says it'll be covered under warranty..... **** better be, it's only been 3 months or so since we bought it new. We really didn't want the 12v fridge in the camper we got so we thought we'd try one out.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #13

Sry everyone it's an Everchill
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizterusa View Post
Talked to dealer and he says he's been seeing alot of these style fridges take a crap. He says it'll be covered under warranty..... **** better be, it's only been 3 months or so since we bought it new. We really didn't want the 12v fridge in the camper we got so we thought we'd try one out.
we also have a everchill and its been great, trips and parked, would not trade for a substitute
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #15

Yes it is 12V only. Took it in today and got an email saying power to fridge so they pulled it out but theres some special 3 way screw or some BS so they gotta call the manufacturer in the morning to find out how to get in it.... Wth really?!?! I'll keep yall posted... Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

Edit --------------

Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #16

Only panel to get in it is from the back and you gotta pull the fridge. [emoji36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Old 04-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #17

So got an email yesterday that they have to order a new one [emoji36] so they told me 2 weeks if they had to order one in Oct so with this goin on i can only imagine how long it will take. I asked if they could jus pulling one out of another unit and they said they can't! This place is the largest RV dealer in WI so you'd think they stock ****!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
Site Team

No RV dealer is gonna keep new RV refers in stock- especially a 12v only one.
OTHO if they had another unit with your fridge it would be awesome customer service if they'd swap yours but .... that's double the work for them so I sorta get it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I can understand your frustration... but... you have to take into consideration, according to the discussions on various forums, these Everchill refrigerators are somewhat new to the R/V world so it is very possible the dealers are learning about them just now, as everyone else is. Doesn't matter if they are the biggest dealer or not.

Don't get me wrong, the technology in these refrigerators (12v compressors) is not anything new but Everchill's models are. With that, I doubt you'll see ANYONE'S parts department having one in stock.

Also understand, I'm not sticking up for the dealer at all. I firmly believe that getting service after the sale is as important as buying the right R/V at the right price.

Could they remove one from another unit on the lot for you... sure. Are they likely going to rob a salable unit of a major appliance to do so... probably not.

Also keep in mind, you first reported this refrigerator being (your words) "flat out dead" back in October and the R/V went to the dealer to have it looked at just a few days ago in April. I'm not sure the circumstances surrounding the delay in getting it looked at but maybe if they had it in October, they would have a replacement by now.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #20

Well wirh the amount of issues they are having with them they probably should... [emoji16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
No RV dealer is gonna keep new RV refers in stock- especially a 12v only one.
OTHO if they had another unit with your fridge it would be awesome customer service if they'd swap yours but .... that's double the work for them so I sorta get it.

Tags
camper, fridge