Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

30 amp???

I have a 2017 Wildwood 31KQBTS, it is a 30 amp cord and we are going to a campsite that is a 50 amp site NOT 30 amp. We do have an adapter to plug into a 50 amp just curious if we can cause harm to the camper if we use the adapter?
Mcheil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

It will not cause an issue but you do need to follow the same vigilance for current draw that you normally do when connected to a 30 amp pedestal. If you lose power your on board 30 amp breaker has most likely tripped.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Zero problem and is done all the time. The 30 amp breaker in the panel in an RV limits the current to 30 amps so can't affect the shore power cord or anything else.

The 30 amp receptacles in pedestals are often in poor shape because they get more abuse. If the plug to receptacle connection is loose and/or dirty (carbon-ized) it can cause heat, and in some cases even cause a meltdown. If you're at a pedestal that has both 30 & 50 amps, using the 50 amp receptacle with an adapter can be a good idea.

Tip: when plugging into a pedestal, always turn the power off first. If you don't, it will cause pitting which in turn attracts dirt & carbon and lead to a poor connection. If your plug blades aren't clean and shiny, use a little sandpaper on them.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Unless the campground hasn't had any maintenance in the past 25 years I'd expect to see 50, 30, and 15 (20) amp connections on the post. If not use an adapter.

"50 amp" universally indicates (at least in the 21st Century) the maximum outlet, not the only outlet.

-- Chuck
Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

I've carried a 50A to 30A, a 30A to 15A adapters in our trailers for years. I've used each one several times since 2008.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #6

Thank you very much to everyone for your input I greatly appreciate it, my wife and I just got nervous because our air-conditioner recommends not going above 30 amps ( I forget the exact wording they stated) so we just got nervous. Again thank you everyone, Still new to camping only my second year in
Mcheil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #7

Only time I've used an adapter is when the 30a outlet was so burned up from folks not switching the breaker off before connecting/disconnecting. Just used the 50a connector which is usually also there.

-- Chuck
Old 06-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
our air-conditioner recommends not going above 30 amps
Huh?

Can you post a link?

The available power on the pole has not a thing to do what what your AC pulls other than the AC will trip the breaker if it pulls too many amps.

-- Chuck
Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

Of interest to some is that 50 amp pedestals can be hard to come by in many CGs. Up until 2005, the NEC only required 5% of sites to be 50 amps and it was then changed to 20%. In the 2017, the NEC upped it to 40% of sites needing to be 50 amps.

You won't find many CGs built after 2017... If your using older CGs like we do (Thousand Trails), 50 amp sites can be very scarce unless they've upgraded. It's often the full-timers that snag them all up.

Some CGs/RV parks may have been built above the min. code requirements.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcheil83 View Post
Thank you very much to everyone for your input I greatly appreciate it, my wife and I just got nervous because our air-conditioner recommends not going above 30 amps ( I forget the exact wording they stated) so we just got nervous. Again thank you everyone, Still new to camping only my second year in
I'd like to see what you are referencing because you may be confused.
It 'may' recommend not using a service BELOW 30 amps but that is just a cover their butt statement as some folks will use a 15 (household outlet) and when doing so you must be VERY cautious as to anything else drawing current when the A/C is on.

Your air conditioner doesn't have any clue what amperage pedestal you are plugged into.

All your circuits are protected by a breaker(s) in your R/V's power distribution box and at the main breaker itself.

I carry many types of adapters.
50a to 30a
30a to 50a (different from above)
15a to 30a
30a to 15a

I have some types that are called dogbones (two plugs with a short wire in between and some that are all one piece.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

If you were to look up the specs on AC units, the manufacturer wants a 20 amp breaker just for the AC unit and depending on make/model/rating draws around 12-15 amps and want min. #12 wire (and if over 50' want #10).
Then if you add in at least 3-5 amps for the converter draw plus 2-3 amps for fridge on electric and then anything else you're running, you really want 30 amps. Also, an AC unit momentarily draws 50-60 amps on startup and can really drag voltage down.

Many will say it's perfectly okay to run an AC unit on 15 amps but I disagree,
Low voltage will damage the windings in AC unit motors. And while your AC unit may seem to be running just fine, the damage is cumulative over time and your AC unit may suddenly fail for no reason some day. Voltage is extremely important and at the very least, you should be monitoring voltage. Long runs from a 15 amp (or even 20 amps) to the panel and/or a long 15 amp extension cord can cause a large voltage drop. An EMS unit that shuts you off at 104 volts is also a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'd like to see what you are referencing because you may be confused.
It 'may' recommend not using a service BELOW 30 amps but that is just a cover their butt statement as some folks will use a 15 (household outlet) and when doing so you must be VERY cautious as to anything else drawing current when the A/C is on.

Your air conditioner doesn't have any clue what amperage pedestal you are plugged into.

All your circuits are protected by a breaker(s) in your R/V's power distribution box and at the main breaker itself.

I carry many types of adapters.
50a to 30a
30a to 50a (different from above)
15a to 30a
30a to 15a

I have some types that are called dogbones (two plugs with a short wire in between and some that are all one piece.