Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonga View Post
SO here is my question...even though the male connector from the trailer LOOKS like a 220 VAC plug, it is actually a 110VAC circuit, correct?

Thinking of putting in a 30Amp circuit for my TT, as I only have about a 6In run from the main breaker panel.
If your TT power cable plugs into an outlet exactly like this:

It is requires a 30 amp, 110 volt service.

If it looks exactly like this:

Your camper requires 50 amps at 220 volts.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #22

Alrighty then...30 Amp 110V it is..Thanks!
masonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Wow - You Rock Jim

Never in a million years would I have imagined someone would use 14 guage wire on a long run like that and THEN back up by a 30 amp breaker!

Fire at the pavilion is the least of your worry. If that circuit was overloaded over a long period of time, the eventual fire would start in the distribution panel IN THE HOUSE. The heat generated due to the undersize wire would be highest in the hot wire from the breaker to the first box clamp.

You should have an electrician check that entire circuit. If they did "have that crock pot party," that existing wire most likely took some damage. Check and smell for burn insulation in the panel. If so that buried wire to the pavillion may need to be replaced.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Now a "Top Member"

I think I might just replace it anyway. I had already bought the wire once (was going to do something a little different). I have nothing but time and can work as slow or fast as I want. Just digging up and recovering that length in this heat and humidity is something I don't look forward to. But in the end, I know it will be right.

And so you know, there is no smell of anything burned, no indication of anything ever going beyond capacity. I honestly do not know why he put that many outlets around this pavillion. But like I said, I want to get it done right, and so I will invest in the right wire (10/2) and just dig in and git 'er done!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

My guess

Based on the house I bought. It was built in the 1953 and there had to be "no codes" outside of city limits then.

The previous owner had an above ground swimming pool out in the back yard (common back then). He had a 12 guage wire run out there to power the pump.

The pool was gone but the "pool deck" with the outlet was still there. He had a 20 amp breaker in the box connected to a clock timer but it was "off." (I am still using the old timer to power my security lights)

I ripped it all out. The wire was only 6 inches deep and took only a couple of hours to dig out.

Sounds like a previous owner built a pavillion and used the pool wire to power it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #26
Proud Member

Ed,

If I was facing the same task, I would be tempted to abandon the original wire, rent a trencher to dig the trench, and then lay down 1 inch Schd-40 PVC conduit. You can then pull whatever wire you need, and even replace or expand it in the future. At a minimum, no one will ever have to dig that trench again.

Installing underground UM-B is less expensive than my option, but only by about 20-30 cents a foot.

Just a suggestion.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by riciren View Post
Here is my two cents, to play it safe in the two homes I have owned I used a licensed electrician to put my rv plugs in, I was told if I did it myself and had a short and a fire occurred the insurance company may not want to cover the loss, but then I am not an insurance expert or an electrician
Insurance will always cover a loss, minus the deductible.
That’s why you get insurance to protect yourself & others from stupidity & other natural disasters.

Where you might run into a problem is with your city/township for not following code & not getting the proper permit.
I’ve lived in three different houses in PA & each township had a permit process.
My current township requires a permit for any electrical work totaling more than $50 in material.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Smile Which township?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
That’s why you get insurance to protect yourself & others from stupidity & other natural disasters.

Where you might run into a problem is with your city/township for not following code & not getting the proper permit.
I’ve lived in three different houses in PA & each township had a permit process.
My current township requires a permit for any electrical work totaling more than $50 in material.
We are in Lower Bucks.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post

We are in Lower Bucks.
Upper Bucks here. Near Nockamixon.

My set up, 30'x30' pole barn with 100amp sub panel from the house.
30 amp breaker on the sub panel, 20' of 10 gauge wire & a 30 amp pedestal box from Home Depot.
The kind you see @ most CGs.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Having the breaker in the box is handy.

My breaker is in the sub panel in the garage and walking in and out to hook up is a pain. Its not far, but it is not as convenient as your setup.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Having the breaker in the box is handy.

My breaker is in the sub panel in the garage and walking in and out to hook up is a pain. Its not far, but it is not as convenient as your setup.
It is handy. I like to turn it off before plugging or unplugging & then turn it back on.
The whole set up was under $50.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #32

If their is any question about safety call your local electrician, it could be your best move that is what we went to school for to keep you safe!! $100 to $150 is worth the piece of mind. it is hard to help when we can't see exactly what you have going on.
copyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Okay, I went out and looked. This is what I have. From the 30 amp breaker, it is 14 AWG wire run to the pavillion. 14 AWG run through all the plug outlets around the pavillion. Now, with that in mind, I think I understand what you are saying above.

First off, like I said, there are about 6 15amp outlets surrounding the pavillion. There is a florescent light and a cieling fan. And some rope lights. None of which gets used very often. Nothing more than a plug outlet, and the fan and rope lights occassionally. No bands, etc. Also, this was all done before I bought the house. So it's been there a while. It did pass the electrical inspection by a Veterans Administration inspector.
Okay, so to get this done right, what you are saying is, replace the 30 amp breaker at the breaker box with a 15 or 20 amp?? Where the wire comes to the pavillion, install a 30 amp breaker and supply the wiring to the 30 amp outlet with 10/2 wiring? Should I assume that I might need to also install a "sub-panel" (there is no sub-panel between the house breaker box and the pavillion).

As it is now, I replaced one of the 15 amp outlets (the first one) with a 20 amp outlet, and run a 20 amp extension cord to my trailer. This works, but again, I don't want to push the limits and would really like to do this right.

I can take some pictures too if it would help any of this. Thanks for all the great responses and please let me know what I need to get this done properly.
LOL! Wow, those Veterans Admin. Inspectors are great. 14 gauge wire hooked to a 30 amp breaker and they passed it?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyitfast View Post
If their is any question about safety call your local electrician, it could be your best move that is what we went to school for to keep you safe!! $100 to $150 is worth the piece of mind. it is hard to help when we can't see exactly what you have going on.
I understand what you're saying & for most people I would agree.
Although I do not work in the electrical field I did go to school (Lincoln Tech) & have a complete understanding of OHMS Law.
A simple 5 min Inet search can provide all the info needed to make sure any work done is to code.
I would never do any work for anyone else since I'm not licensed or insured.

Ten years ago when we rebuilt our house I brought in a licensed contractor to install & wire the 200 amp main panel.
The key is to know & accept your limitations & that way no one gets dead!

« Calgon | AC quit »