Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Having the breaker in the box is handy.

My breaker is in the sub panel in the garage and walking in and out to hook up is a pain. Its not far, but it is not as convenient as your setup.
It is handy. I like to turn it off before plugging or unplugging & then turn it back on.
The whole set up was under $50.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #32

If their is any question about safety call your local electrician, it could be your best move that is what we went to school for to keep you safe!! $100 to $150 is worth the piece of mind. it is hard to help when we can't see exactly what you have going on.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Okay, I went out and looked. This is what I have. From the 30 amp breaker, it is 14 AWG wire run to the pavillion. 14 AWG run through all the plug outlets around the pavillion. Now, with that in mind, I think I understand what you are saying above.

First off, like I said, there are about 6 15amp outlets surrounding the pavillion. There is a florescent light and a cieling fan. And some rope lights. None of which gets used very often. Nothing more than a plug outlet, and the fan and rope lights occassionally. No bands, etc. Also, this was all done before I bought the house. So it's been there a while. It did pass the electrical inspection by a Veterans Administration inspector.
Okay, so to get this done right, what you are saying is, replace the 30 amp breaker at the breaker box with a 15 or 20 amp?? Where the wire comes to the pavillion, install a 30 amp breaker and supply the wiring to the 30 amp outlet with 10/2 wiring? Should I assume that I might need to also install a "sub-panel" (there is no sub-panel between the house breaker box and the pavillion).

As it is now, I replaced one of the 15 amp outlets (the first one) with a 20 amp outlet, and run a 20 amp extension cord to my trailer. This works, but again, I don't want to push the limits and would really like to do this right.

I can take some pictures too if it would help any of this. Thanks for all the great responses and please let me know what I need to get this done properly.
LOL! Wow, those Veterans Admin. Inspectors are great. 14 gauge wire hooked to a 30 amp breaker and they passed it?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyitfast View Post
If their is any question about safety call your local electrician, it could be your best move that is what we went to school for to keep you safe!! $100 to $150 is worth the piece of mind. it is hard to help when we can't see exactly what you have going on.
I understand what you're saying & for most people I would agree.
Although I do not work in the electrical field I did go to school (Lincoln Tech) & have a complete understanding of OHMS Law.
A simple 5 min Inet search can provide all the info needed to make sure any work done is to code.
I would never do any work for anyone else since I'm not licensed or insured.

Ten years ago when we rebuilt our house I brought in a licensed contractor to install & wire the 200 amp main panel.
The key is to know & accept your limitations & that way no one gets dead!

« Calgon | AC quit »