Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

30 amp to 50 amp upgrade

I am looking for some thoughts regarding upgrading my rv from the current 30 amp service to a 50 amp service to allow me to run multiple items at the same time. If I have the a.c on and the electric water heater, it tends to pop the main breaker. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what would need to be done to accomplish this. The obvious items to upgrade are the shore power cord/plugs and the main breaker. I am curious if I could keep my current breaker panel and converter. Thanks for any suggestions.

Charlie.
icefireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not that simple, and you can't keep your main breaker, and will probably have to change the whole breaker panel. 30 amp service is 120 volt. 50 amp service is 240 volt, or two 120 volt legs. These must be split as needed. If you don't know how, better get an electrician. Somewhere I read a post where they had pulled the water heater out on it's own cord and plugged it into the 15 amp plug while the camper was plugged in to the 30 amp plug in the campground. This seemed to work for them, and took the load off the camper main breaker. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #3

Your A/c is on one single breaker, probably a 20 amp circuit. But the Main trips? Going to a 50 amp service means basically three things will change. You will buy and install a 50 amp RV plug, you will buy a 50 amp RV power cord, you will buy and wire up a 50 amp power center. You will then have one available 20 amp breaker. You will need to run 12 ga romex with an additional conducter for the 2nd leg on the rv plug (there are four poles on your new plug versus three on the 30 amp plug). If your 30 amp main trips before the 20 amp breaker trips that the A/c is wired to, I would be looking at the 30 amp main breaker a little closer. Do a thorough A/C cleaning of the coil and filter. clean the power center cooling fins and fans. The breakers are run-of-the-mill breakers that pop right out of the power center. Very inexpensive from Home Depot and take about 5 minutes to swap out. My guess is that a new one(s) will be infinitely better quality than the stock equipment.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Hi icefireguy. Is that a V-lite you have? If so, mine has 30 amp service also, and I've never experienced any issues like that on mine. Only once, when trying to cook with an electric skillet, with the AC, wtr htr, fridge, TV, lights, and probably some more on, and we tripped the site's breaker on their box. we turned the air off while using the skillet, and all was fine. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #5

Do as turbopuppy said. You may have a weak main(30amp) breaker.

Quote:
If your 30 amp main trips before the 20 amp breaker trips that the A/c is wired to, I would be looking at the 30 amp main breaker a little closer. Do a thorough A/C cleaning of the coil and filter. clean the power center cooling fins and fans. The breakers are run-of-the-mill breakers that pop right out of the power center. Very inexpensive from Home Depot and take about 5 minutes to swap out. My guess is that a new one(s) will be infinitely better quality than the stock equipment.

If all else fails, the easiest and cheapest think to do is as windrider, stated.

Quote:
Somewhere I read a post where they had pulled the water heater out on it's own cord and plugged it into the 15 amp plug while the camper was plugged in to the 30 amp plug in the campground. This seemed to work for them, and took the load off the camper main breaker.
I'd try replacing the Main breaker first.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #6

If you are conneced to 30A at campground you should trip that breaker before 30A in camper.While diconnected from power,check connections for corrosion and if tight also check if warm when it trips.If all seams O.K. I would change breaker.I have tripped campground breaker when running a/c,water heater ,and start microwave,dosen,t happen all the time just when evrything tries to start at same time.Have never tripped camper breaker.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure and read this link also: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead.php?t=4313

Especially page 2.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp