Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #1

30 or 50 amp

Im looking to buy are first rv we are looking at a wildwood 352flfb my question is that it comes with 30 amp service.I have read on some diffetent form that a 30amp will blow the breakers all the time,is this true any help
blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #2

I'm only speaking from my own personal experience.If you plan on running a A/C and convection/microwave oven at the same time ,you'll probably have a problem.If you don't have an A/C you'll probably be fine.The 30 amps are used up pretty quick when you have multiple appliances on,I'd option for the 50 amp if it's available.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Or you could just pause the AC while you nuke your dinner. Most of your lighter travel trailers and 5th wheels are going to have 30 amp panels. 50 amp is usually found on motor homes. Plus more parks have 30 amp service than 50 so while your 50 amp service will adapt to 30, it's still just 30 amps comming out of the pedistal.

For something not motorized, I'm happy with 30 amps. But then I am so cheap!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

We had a 30 amp for years and it was fine. Ac and Micro and electric skillet was to much but we just alternated the skillet and micro and was fine. at 90 the AC off was not an option. I however would suggest a voltage or amp monitor that plugs in to the outlet to make sure you were not over loading anything.
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #5

Whether you have 30 or 50 amp service, the point is there are 10 amp, 15 amp, and 20 amp breakers in the distribution panel. One of those is dedicated for your A/C. If you trip a particular breaker while running the hairdryer with the A/C on, that would've happened if your Power Center was 50 Amp rated anyway. Any electrician can do a couple things to fix that. Also, A/C can draw 20 amps when started and should drop current draw after startup. If your A/C is on a 20 amp circuit, you come close to trip load every time you run it. So on a 30 amp system, running A/C then starting a 12 Amp Vacuum will trip the main.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

I've had a few trailers and 30amp service has ALWAYS been enough. So what if I have to turn the A/C off for a short period of time to use the microwave.

I would think the main reason for a 50amp rig is for dual A/Cs. And if they are both running then you would probably have to shut one off to run the microwave as well.

Main thing is power conservation. Have I tripped breakers before? YUP. Will I trip some again? Probably. Is it a big deal to me? Nope.

I'm happy with my 30amp setup. One A/C is plenty for my trailer. Some rigs need two.

Now if you already have a 30amp rig and want to get "fancy"................ Most power peds have at a minimum a 30amp and a 20amp connection. You can always rig up a secondary connection and box in you rig for the 20amp service to handle outlets. Main problem with this is space. Where ya gonna put it? I've considered doing it but we have always gotten by with what we have and the old saying comes to mind. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

my 2 cents, spend it wisely
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
In any event, you are stuck with what your trailer of choice comes with. Unless you want to go to the considerable expense of converting your power system to 50 amps instead of 30.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Another thing you can do to prevent the air conditioner from tripping a breaker is turn the fan on first (on, not auto) and then push the thermostat down to turn on the compressor. Divides the start up surge into two smaller lumps.

Then just leave the fan in the "on" position to cirulate air.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help
blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #10

glad we could help

I thought it was mostly rambling but if you call it help it's all good

Hope we didn't scare ya away. Keep asking questions even if I do chime in
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I have never had a problem with my Rockwood 8317SS. The older air conditioners did pull more current and caused a problem. It can also make a difference what the wattage on the microwave is. My guess is that a newer camper won't have as much of a problem as an older camper.

It can also be the campground. If the campground wiring is not sufficient, then the lower voltage will cause your appliances to pull more current. One way to help prevent this is to stay at the "big rig" sites that do have 50 amps but plug into the 30 amp circuit. They wire the 50 amp sites with a larger gauge wire which helps keep the voltage from dropping to your trailer which, in turn, pulls less amperage.
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp