Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
So made some great progress today. There are basically two versions of this unit. One for someone who knows what electricity is, and then an idiot proofed unit which is pretty cool.

Idiot proofed unit goes through several safety checks - first deactivates second 15a male input when only one is connected.

Next, when second 15 a source is connected, checks to confirm its on the same phase to prevent creating a 240v circuit, and won't allow a 240v circuit to be created.

Next, checks to confirm that second circuit is wired correctly, and that hot and neutral are not reversed.

If all checks confirm, then is completes the circuit and allows you to parallel both 15a sources.

Going to go ahead with building both units. I personally don't need the idiot proofed version, but we had a long chat about it and figured it might be something worthy of putting into production. Maybe you'll see this for sale at your dealer one day!

We were trying to decide on price point. What would you pay for a certified gadget that would safely let you get a 30a supply for your camper when camping at a site that only had 15a receptacles available?

I hope i understand what your are proposing or have already developed. If you can get 30 amps from a 15 amp receptacle, count me in. This way, we won't need to pay a premium for a 30 amp site at a campground and the existing 15 amp receptable in my driveway would work as a 30 amp too. I definately will need the "idiot" proof one. I would probably pay the same as or a little more for what I paid for a 15a-30a adapter.

Trying to resist the urge to buy another camper
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

I re-opened this thread at Jim's (Brookside) request.

Do not make me regret it.

Hear him out. You and I may learn something.

If not, then Jim may learn something.

Either way, let the man have complete access to the thread or I will have to open and close it when he is ready to post.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #43

In Canada, the only place it is common to find the top and bottom receptacle on an outlet being on seperate circuits is in kitchens(where it is required by code). My concern would be how many campgrounds have their pedastals wired with independent circuits for their 15 amp plugs. I know the two campgrounds my friends own only have one circuit energizing the two 15 amp plugs, as their intent was not to provide more power to a single site, just more connections. Panel slots, breakers and copper cable are a huge expense for campgrounds so they try to limit their capital costs where they can. If you plug in this adapter without knowing how the campground is wired it would seem to me you run a very decent chance of blowing the campgrounds breakers.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Actually I was talking about pulling from two different 15a circuits - since none of the appliances are 240v there should be no issue even if both 15a circuits you pull from are on the same phase. If you read the link back to the original post the OP installed a relay and a second 15a input for his trailer so he could draw on 2 x 15a circuits when available but that got me thinking in terms of simply making a Y adapter vs modifying your panel. Last two campsites I was at btw had no 30a, only 15a, but did in fact have two duplexes per post each with its own 15a breaker.

OP's original goal was to be able to run AC and microwave at the same time when presented with 2 x 15a circuit

Only safety issue would be if you only plugged one of the male 15a Edison's in - the unplugged one would be hot. Could come up with a work around for that when I have my morning coffee.

FYI - TQ electrician here as well.

im no electrician, but i see whats he is trying to accomplish. From the begining he has stated 2 x 15a circuit....not pulling 30a from a single outlet.

now as to wether or not there is an abundance of power pedestals with 2 seperate 15a circuits i dont know???

I do have one of the 50a cords that splits off into a 30a plug and a 15a plug for use in sites with no 50a. works well, but those are seperate circuits.

I dont know, but im following this thread to see what happens! Would be nice to be able to run my a/c and tv when only presented with 15a service.

Like i always say, its better to have something and not need it, than to REALLY need it and not have it!...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namchief View Post
To me if you have your garage or kitchen wired up with the top outlet being on the same breaker as the bottom The electrician saw you coming. But what do I know I wired both of mine myself... I do not have a degree or deign spaceships or submarines. But I have helped wire multi million dollar houses. If you are doing this because you do not have a 30 amp hookup outside of your garage I suggest running line big enough for a 50 amp and putting in the 30/50 plugin. Depending on what your trailer needs. But if there is any chance you might upgrade to a 50 amp trailer run the right gauge wire for 50 amp cost is not much more when you figure on cost to dig up and rebury new wire. And if you think of it the only reason you really need 30 amp rather than 15 is for the AC.
I'm not sure I understand your post... it doesnt really have anything to do with this adapter or why I'm making it. Nice to have split receptacles in your garage though!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I re-opened this thread at Jim's (Brookside) request.

Do not make me regret it.

Hear him out. You and I may learn something.

If not, then Jim may learn something.

Either way, let the man have complete access to the thread or I will have to open and close it when he is ready to post.

Much appreciated.. And to a few of you who seem to "get it"... Yes pulling 30a by combining two 15a circuits could indeed save you renting a premium spot ... All you'd need would be the gadget and a couple of Edison extensions to get to the nearest outlets
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #47

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your post... it doesnt really have anything to do with this adapter or why I'm making it. Nice to have split receptacles in your garage though!
The point was that with the adapter you would have 30amp if your garage was wired (to me) properly since the upper and lower were on different circuits.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #48
Site Team - Lou

I am re-closing the thread until jim has completed his project. He can PM me when he is ready to post his "solution."

I have no idea where he might use his invention but that is certainly not my problem; trying to moderate this thread certainly is.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Closed Thread

Tags
led pad