Old 03-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

30a to 50a conversion

I use a dogbone and plug it into a 50 amp receptacle and then plug the 30 amp motor home into the 30 amp leg of the dogbone and the water heater into the 20 amp leg of the dogbone. I previously took the water heater off the main breaker panel and connected the wires to a separate 20 amp power cord that can be plugged into the dogbone, or into a separate power outlet that I wired into the coach box that I put in my power bay or directly in a 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal.
My new dilemma is that I want to add a second air conditioner in the 14 inch cutout in the bedroom but I need more power. I am thinking of changing the motorhome to 50 amp instead of 30 amp because I will be adding two 50 amp circuits to the rig instead of one 30 amp circuit. I am fully qualified to redo the rig but I need a new main breaker box. Any ideas where to get it?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedatty View Post
I use a dogbone and plug it into a 50 amp receptacle and then plug the 30 amp motor home into the 30 amp leg of the dogbone and the water heater into the 20 amp leg of the dogbone. I previously took the water heater off the main breaker panel and connected the wires to a separate 20 amp power cord that can be plugged into the dogbone, or into a separate power outlet that I wired into the coach box that I put in my power bay or directly in a 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal.
My new dilemma is that I want to add a second air conditioner in the 14 inch cutout in the bedroom but I need more power. I am thinking of changing the motorhome to 50 amp instead of 30 amp because I will be adding two 50 amp circuits to the rig instead of one 30 amp circuit. I am fully qualified to redo the rig but I need a new main breaker box. Any ideas where to get it?

Reason/advantages of the separate wh wiring?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 03-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's what I did.
Adding a second a/c to a 30 amp camper.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

You know, that is a really interesting question. A month ago I would have agreed that you would have no choice but to rewire and up your current as you ask. However, in response to another post I researched the Intellitec AESS, which was installed in his TT. Products - Energy Management - Smart energy management systems - Automatic energy select switch

What is will do is automatically shed a load like your hot water heater when something more timely comes up, say the microwave or even A/C. This would automatically eliminate your problem as the two loads would never draw simultaneously. Turns out the the 2014 National Electrical Code for RVs does not allow a 30 amp panel to have more than 5 breakers unless an AESS is installed and there are tow or more "thermostatically controlled" loads, which means A/C, hot water heater, etc.

Seems like a lot less work than running other cables, extra outlets and cords to the pedestal and it would solve your problem. FR uses them in 30 amp TTs that need 6 breakers or more in their power panel. You can get one from Amazon here Robot Check

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Adding a second A/C unit. Always had 50 amp on all my other RV's. A 30 amp is just 30 amps, a 50 amp is really two 50 amp separate circuits. A/C and W/H on one leg, A/C and all the rest of the MH stuff on the other 50 amp leg.

Got a new power panel for the 50 amp service that is the same size and dimensions as the 30 amp'er. New 50 amp power cord coming and an automatic transfer switch coming.