Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Good to know, I've wondered about those.
__________________

__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mrs Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
The Wilson booster repeaters work great. So rather than getting the onstar you could use this with your current sprint plan. I have used one in our trailer in a remote area and it was great. Expensive but a one time cost and in the long run may be cheaper than another subscription.

Wilson Signal Booster 4G Extreme RV Kit
x2 - this booster works well for me too!
__________________

__________________
Michelle Evans
Katy, TX
2011 Carriage Cabo 341
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
david-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was (and am) on AT&T. While technically true that you can do both- I found that with internet intensive applications running, the phone/service just couldn't do both.
Ependydad,

Thanks for the additional information on your experience with simultaneous voice and data on AT&T. I haven't had that same experience yet but maybe I'm not hitting the data network as hard as you while on a voice call. Just curious- on what model smartphone did you have that experience? It may make a difference. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Dave
__________________
Dave
2015 Cedar Creek 34RL
2014 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 6.5 Bed Cummins
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by david-o View Post
Just curious- on what model smartphone did you have that experience? It may make a difference. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Dave, it certainly could have. We were on iPhone 4 phones at the time.

And yes, fairly data intensive with viewing the screens of remote machines on a pretty regular basis.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
david-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Dave, it certainly could have. We were on iPhone 4 phones at the time.
Yep, that's gotta be it. If I remember correctly the iPhone 4 ran on the HSDPA/HSDUPA (an advanced version of 3G) data network. No comparison to today's LTE devices/network. If you're now using one of AT&T's newer LTE smartphones I would be interested to know if you have a better experience if you ever try a voice + data session in the future. Thanks again for responding to my messages.

Dave
__________________
Dave
2015 Cedar Creek 34RL
2014 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 6.5 Bed Cummins
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #16
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by david-o View Post
Yep, that's gotta be it. If I remember correctly the iPhone 4 ran on the HSDPA/HSDUPA (an advanced version of 3G) data network. No comparison to today's LTE devices/network. If you're now using one of AT&T's newer LTE smartphones I would be interested to know if you have a better experience if you every try a voice + data session in the future. Thanks again for responding to my messages.

Dave

That makes sense. But now that I've got 2 different hotspots- it's pretty unlikely that I'll give it a whirl.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
LTnTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
The Wilson booster repeaters work great. So rather than getting the onstar you could use this with your current sprint plan. I have used one in our trailer in a remote area and it was great. Expensive but a one time cost and in the long run may be cheaper than another subscription.

Wilson Signal Booster 4G Extreme RV Kit

I've been emailing back and forth with them for the last couple of days. I also work from home, and would like a more reliable service when we're camping. Based on their advice, I think I'm going with the 40-X and the 21" RV/trucker antenna.


2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
__________________
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
I've been emailing back and forth with them for the last couple of days. I also work from home, and would like a more reliable service when we're camping. Based on their advice, I think I'm going with the 40-X and the 21" RV/trucker antenna.

Double and triple check to be sure that antenna will also boost your data service and won't actually degrade it. I know the Technomads warned that many trucker antennas aren't good for data.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
LTnTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Double and triple check to be sure that antenna will also boost your data service and won't actually degrade it. I know the Technomads warned that many trucker antennas aren't good for data.

That's the exact question I asked last night ... waiting on their reply.


2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
__________________
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,825
I thought I saw on a Amazon question that the trucker antennas did not work on the LTE only the older bands...
__________________

__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.