Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

5er landing gear question

Backgound info - In the fall the landing gearbox became stripped. Had been real slow for a while then finally stopped moving all together.

Dropped the unit off at the dealer in the fall and said i'd be back in the spring. Free storage so why not.

Picked it up the other day and it seems to me the legs do not go up as far as they used to go. I asked the service/parts guy and he said he thought that was all the way up. They are still hanging down in my opinion. At the time there was no other units hooked up to test.

Wondering if anyone knows, does the landing gear box have to be "clocked" when installed or does it go each way an infinite amount of rotations until the legs stop it.

If someone has a picture of their legs all the way up please share. I'll have to hook up to mine and raise the legs for a picture.

Thanks!

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Its not a very good pic but maybe it will help.
Attached Images

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

maybe it got stripped by trying to go to far up? just saying
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Went and hooked up to the truck so I could retract the legs. It seems to me they should go in another 4 inches if you look at the previous marks on the leg??

LOL as for stripping them trying to go up too far I tend to think now as I once brought them up all the way then usually just go up to a point that shouldn't get caught on anything.

They now seem to operate alot better with the new gearbox but seem to not go up far as before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429648835983.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	74886  

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Did you know about the two zero fittings on the top that require grease? I found mine all painted over and give them a shot when doing the bearings. After installing JT i loose 1 hole on ability to retract.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

On mine, and probably most other FR 5ers, there is a 2" strip of red/white reflector tape just above the release pin bracket for the extension. Mine retract just fine until the top of the tape is just at the outer tube on the main body. They will go farther but a) there is no auto-stop, b) damage may result, most probably to the motor gearbox and c) the reflector tape will get scraped up and crumpled. During PDI, it was pointed out that if I ever brought it back with an issue with the LG and the reflector tape was crumpled that it would NOT be warranteed.

Point here is that you should probably not retract so that the extension pin bracket is less than 2" from the fixed outer tube. Then you're guaranteed that you are not binding anything in the gear train.

And I agree with Brian about pumping a bit of grease annually into the zerks.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
On mine, and probably most other FR 5ers, there is a 2" strip of red/white reflector tape just above the release pin bracket for the extension. Mine retract just fine until the top of the tape is just at the outer tube on the main body. They will go farther but a) there is no auto-stop, b) damage may result, most probably to the motor gearbox and c) the reflector tape will get scraped up and crumpled. During PDI, it was pointed out that if I ever brought it back with an issue with the LG and the reflector tape was crumpled that it would NOT be warranteed.

Point here is that you should probably not retract so that the extension pin bracket is less than 2" from the fixed outer tube. Then you're guaranteed that you are not binding anything in the gear train.

And I agree with Brian about pumping a bit of grease annually into the zerks.
LCI landing gear is wired to a breaker 30 or 40 amp resettable fuse. If you retract your legs to high they will trip that fuse. That is why they put tape on it. After it happened to me I almost had to stand on my head to reset that breaker. The dealer sent me an auto reset to put in. I think they sent me a 40 amp. I had my unit serviced and the tech rasied my landing legs, when I got home no power to them. I called the dealer and he told me where it was. He also said that he warned his tech's about that. I guess this new guy never got the info...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

I wouldn't consider tripping an overcurrent protection device due to a stalled motor/gear train to be an ideal auto-stop mechanism - auto-reset or not. Eventually, abusing mechanical devices catches up to you - a concept DW has not mastered (we have an arrangement... she breaks - I fix).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
I wouldn't consider tripping an overcurrent protection device due to a stalled motor/gear train to be an ideal auto-stop mechanism - auto-reset or not. Eventually, abusing mechanical devices catches up to you - a concept DW has not mastered (we have an arrangement... she breaks - I fix).
I agree, I ran my landing jacks up until the motor bogged, backed it down a 1/2" and put yellow caution tape completely around both legs to indicate the stop position. Have never tripped the fuse/breaker.

Tags
5er