Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

5th wheel height to truck height.

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 power wagon and we just purchased a 2017 Rockwood 8244BS. I am wondering if I have the wrong size truck for the height of this trailer? I did my homework concerning a shortbed with a trailer that has the Reese Revolution but didnt know anything about truck to trailer height( coming off a hitch trailer and upgrading). The bed rails from the ground are 58 1/2 in from ground but I hear the pin plate on this trailer is 51in. Am I going to have a problem with the hook-up with the combination I will have?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Doug
Doug357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

We have a 2017 F-250 with a B&W hitch. I am not sure about your hitch but ours was able to be adjusted to three different heights. Our Lippert Pin also has three different adjustments. If this is the case with yours there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

One more thing. You will raise your 5er to hook up and when you lower it onto the hitch your truck is going to go down some. You will be pretty level.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #4

That's a tough one. Your power wagon is 2 inches higher than mine. I put my hitch down to where I have 6" of bed clearance and I ride level. I don't see how you can get it level being that high.

But fear not, you should have 10F axles, for which you can order a lift kit (2 3/4") for. I have the kit but found I didn't need it.

I have the Rockwood 2650WS which is just a little longer than your 8244BS. I really like how they did the bed slide on that. Adds a lot of weight to the trailer though.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
One more thing. You will raise your 5er to hook up and when you lower it onto the hitch your truck is going to go down some. You will be pretty level.

Power wagon has a pretty low cargo capacity. If the rear springs are squishy enough, it might come down as you say. My 2500 drops 1 3/4" with about the same pin weight.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
You can probably modify (lower) your trucks rear suspension if needed as well. Personally, I would do this LONG before ever raising the trailer.

I have a little less than the minimum recommended 6" clearance on my setup (B&W Companion set to lowest height). It has been fine so far, but is something I watch very closely when on uneven ground.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
You can probably modify (lower) your trucks rear suspension if needed as well. Personally, I would do this LONG before ever raising the trailer.

I have a little less than the minimum recommended 6" clearance on my setup (B&W Companion set to lowest height). It has been fine so far, but is something I watch very closely when on uneven ground.
Might as well scrap the Power wagon before modifying the suspension. It's Ram's trail rated truck. It's made for off roading, not towing, that's why it's tall. Lowering a purpose made off road truck defeats the purpose of the truck. Nice truck though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-ram-power-wagon-first-drive-hero-970x647-c.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	134104  
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

truck height to trailer height

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
That's a tough one. Your power wagon is 2 inches higher than mine. I put my hitch down to where I have 6" of bed clearance and I ride level. I don't see how you can get it level being that high.

But fear not, you should have 10F axles, for which you can order a lift kit (2 3/4") for. I have the kit but found I didn't need it.

I have the Rockwood 2650WS which is just a little longer than your 8244BS. I really like how they did the bed slide on that. Adds a lot of weight to the trailer though.
Did you install the kit yourself? Was it hard to do? Did you do both axels ? thanks for comments.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

I didn't put the lift kit in. I had almost 8" of bed rail clearance as they put the hitch in on it's highest setting. I lowered my hitch two holes ( -2" or so) and reduced the clearance to 6". That pretty much leveled it out, so I decided to forgo the lift. Your rails are two inches higher, so I'm certain you can't lower your hitch enough to level it out.

How much does your rear end drop with the trailer on it?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
I didn't put the lift kit in. I had almost 8" of bed rail clearance as they put the hitch in on it's highest setting. I lowered my hitch two holes ( -2" or so) and reduced the clearance to 6". That pretty much leveled it out, so I decided to forgo the lift. Your rails are two inches higher, so I'm certain you can't lower your hitch enough to level it out.

How much does your rear end drop with the trailer on it?
Trailer hasn't come in yet, had to order it just to get the Jacknife sofa. But glad we ordered it cuz the wife wanted a couple of different options. When we got the truck I thought all ram 2500's were the same never thinking a Power Wagon would be different. I am sure we will get it to work and thanks for the kit information, we may need to go that route. Someone suggested lowering the truck but think that would cost a fortune. We do plan on keeping truck till we die, so lowering may be an option after warranty runs out. Are you redy for summer? where ya going camping this year?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

I'd have a hard time lowering a truck I spent an extra $8000 to get the suspension it has. Just to point something out, and I don't judge, but the Power wagon has an 8500# GVWR vs the 9000# GVWR of the 5.7 2500 (like mine) and the 10000# GVWR of the 6.4 Ram 2500 (non power wagon).

The straight axle under your front has a 4750# GAWR vs 5250# for the IFS under all other Ram's. That's why your 500# short of 9000#. Why you are another 1000# short of all other 6.4's is anyone's guess. Maybe it's the tires? Don't know.

But what this adds up to is you have a 7000# truck with an 8500# GVWR giving a 1500# cargo capacity...less than most half tons. Since you have a 6200# rear axle, really your worry is tire capacity and getting your trailer level on that behemoth. Just an FYI.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #12

You could go to the dealer with some wood cribbing, get under a similar model, set the clearance to 6" and rest the pin on the back to see where it rides.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

I just purchased a mid profile similar to what your purchased. I have a 2010 ram 2500. I have the kingpin at its highest point and the hitch at its lowest at 14.5" to get he trailer levelled out. You are at least 2" taller then my truck. Only hitch short enough to possibly level you out would be the curt q16 non slider. It can go down to 13". You should have the Reese revolution on the trailer so a slider is not required. You might need to lift the trailer 1-2" max with that hitch.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
I just purchased a mid profile similar to what your purchased. I have a 2010 ram 2500. I have the kingpin at its highest point and the hitch at its lowest at 14.5" to get he trailer levelled out. You are at least 2" taller then my truck. Only hitch short enough to possibly level you out would be the curt q16 non slider. It can go down to 13". You should have the Reese revolution on the trailer so a slider is not required. You might need to lift the trailer 1-2" max with that hitch.
Yup, trailer should be in this week, so I will have the service men chk it out. Hope it all comes together.
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug357 View Post
Yup, trailer should be in this week, so I will have the service men chk it out. Hope it all comes together.

Thanks.

It will. Have you purchased a hitch yet ?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
It will. Have you purchased a hitch yet ?
yes and installed. It's a husky 16K.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #17

You should be close. I have the 16kw slider. The fixed at lowest position is 14". If I had to guess you would need a 2" lift on the trailer to be perfectly level. It's the difference between our trucks.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:18 AM   #18

You say you have a Dodge? Well then it doesn't matter what you do ,the moment you put weight on it, it'll drop. 5ers crush Dodges suspension, don't matter of its a daully or not there all whippy. Just my 2cents from the experiences I've had. P.s. go buy a Duramax and hook anything to it..... All done enjoy...
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #19

I initially made do, but had to be careful and did hit my bed rails a few times (minor). Had a 3" lift installed on the fifth wheel and no problems ever since. With a 1444 payload for your Power Wagon and a 1292 dry hitch weight for your fifth wheel, you will want airbags. The increased suspension travel of the Power Wagons tend to tear basic airbags. Carli long travel airbags (expensive) or Daystar cradles will take care of that. I am using Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air springs with Daystar cradles. It requires a little minor modification to use the Daystar cradles with Air Lift air springs. I believe they work as is with Firestone air springs.

It has worked well for me for years. Happy camping!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shejam28 View Post
You say you have a Dodge? Well then it doesn't matter what you do ,the moment you put weight on it, it'll drop. 5ers crush Dodges suspension, don't matter of its a daully or not there all whippy. Just my 2cents from the experiences I've had. P.s. go buy a Duramax and hook anything to it..... All done enjoy...
I am soo glad to finally hear an unbiased opinion ROFL. I don't have the trailer yet, but am excited to get it. We have a lot of trips planned this year. I have a friend who goes back and forth with me about my Rams and his Duramax. I keep telling him to buy bigger rubber bands so the truck will go faster and pull easier and he sends me a picture of a goat(ram) pulling a tiny two wheel wheel barrow. Alls fun and games. Thanks for the info, will let you know how it goes.

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel