Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #1

625d Power Winch Lift Dead?

Some brief back-story... our tent trailer is a 625d (2008 I believe), and it spent a couple years in storage. Friends of ours asked if they could borrow is, so we had the place we store it at check it out and fix it up after sitting for so long without use. In all they didn't report much wrong other than a water leak that we have opted to postpone fixing for now.

One of the things they did find was that the battery was dead (two years in outdoor storage with no charging or use, not too surprising). They charged it and said it tested fine after that, and that it was ready to go (sans-water). So we picked it up and had our friends over to show how to set it up and use it; touting how much they'd love the power lift for raising the roof. When everything was set, I hit the switch to raise the roof and nothing happened.

Got a hold of the dealer and they insisted it was because the battery was dead (despite just validating it as good to go). So; fine, we put it on a trickle charger, per their instructions, and in the meantime raised it the ridiculously slow manual way. After charging it all day, the winch still failed to engage (no sound no motion, just nothing). So to try and rule out the battery a new battery was bought and put in, but still nothing from the winch.

We have tried having it plugged in to 110, attached with the running car, new battery, replacement fuse in the little red box that hangs off the battery. At one point, while messing with it, our friends did get the winch to engage for a bit, but weren't entirely sure what combination of efforts worked, but it was only briefly anyway.

They had hoped to be on the road early this morning (6am) and I'm feeling terrible that our trailer letting them down. Right now it's at their house with the roof up, and I intend on heading over there once the hour gets to be reasonable and try and figure out what's wrong with it. Anyone have any suggestions?
verrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It kinda sounds like you have a defective switch.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Well our friends found a work around that allowed them to get on the road. I'll check the switch (and several other things) with a multi-meter when they bring it back. Thanks for the idea, though, I may have overlooked testing the switch itself.
verrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

I have the same problem. We tried bypassing the inline circuit breaker. We also replaced the inline fuse, no luck with either.
So tomorrow it goes to the shop

Our issue was brought on by our failure to release one of the clamps thy holds down the roof.
Tbsnrhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Anybody get a resolution to their issues. I think the Powerwinch P55000 on my HW256 went out yesterday. We went camping this weekend and it made a lot of noise coming down. When I tried to bring it back up at the house to clean it out it got about 3/4 of the way up and stopped. Power checks out with a meter. I called up Carefree of Colorado which sold it and they think the motor went out. They don't sell motors. Only complete winch kits. $300
RobertGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

You could call it a resolution, after replacing every circuit breaker in the entire trailer along with all the in line fuses and numerous other random things the whole winch motor had to be replaced. The only good news is that we have an extended warranty so we got off with only the $200 copayment.
Tbsnrhurley is offline   Reply With Quote