Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

9 Day Break In Trip Report

We bought our 2009 Wildcat 30 Loft 5th wheel a few weeks ago and just got back from our first big trip. Learned a lot and solved some of the issues I noticed on our first couple of breakin trips. My hope is that what I learned may help someone else. Feel free to correct me on any of this, as I am new at this, but these are my first impressions.

1. TV not playing DVD from Concertone player. I found a single video cable outlet above the two sets of RCA jacks on the wall next to the TV. The single yellow RCA jack is the Video Out from Concertone to TV. The other two L/R Audio jacks I have not used as the Concertone directs sound to ABC speakers directly without going to TV.

2. Poor TV video quality. During our walkthrough the dealer said it was just because of poor over the air reception due to our location. I found after I hooked up to an RV Park cable outlet and going through each coax cable junction box/outlet that there was a loose connection in the bedroom junction box. On my unit, this junction box has coax outlet, 12v outlet and over air booster. Once removing the screws, the picture quality instantly was restored due to loose connection. Bottom line is to check this box first for any loose wires/connections.

3. Shower leaks into basement storage compartment. Called Forest River about whether the shower should be caulked between tub and shower surround. They said no. This was before I discovered the leak. So I have to make another call to them but my personal opinion is that every seam should be sealed in the shower stall. Stay tuned...

4. Wax the tops/sides of the slides outs and dust off tops before bringing them in to keep debris from damaging the seals and keep the inside of rig clean.

5. Install remote trailer electrical connection in bed of truck. Keeps trailer electrical cord from getting pinched between bed/front of trailer or streched/hung up during sharp turns.

6. Double check the sizes of spare tire lug nut (the one holding spare tire to holder on back of rig) vs. the size of the actual lug nuts on the trailer. Mine were two different sizes and my truck lug nut wrench did not work for both. Might not happen to everyone one but worth checking before you get a flat and can't get the spare tire off the holder.

7. Check that your lug nut wrench fits in the rim holes. I have one of those 4 in one cross style lug nut wrenches and the walls of the wrench are too thick to fit the between the lug nut and rim holes. (my trailer came with aluminum mag rims). A socket wrench works fine as long as it is not impact type socket. I might look into different lug nuts.

8. Get one of those teflon king pin bushings that eliminates having to grease the kingpin/5th wheel interface. Very Clean!

9. Check all screws after first trip. I found the sheet metal type screws holding the fiberglass to the frame around the pin box were getting very loose, causing the fiberglass to bounce up and down quite a bit. I may try some mild loctite on them if this continues.

10. Get a system down for setting up and taking down your camp/rig so that you get in the habit of doing it the same every time. That way you are less likely to forget something. A check list may be a good thing to use till it becomes second nature. My wife and I double check each other.
2002 Chevy Duramax
955wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote