Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

A&E Awnings

My 08 Flagstaff 831BHSS has an A&E awning that you can not tilt for rain run off. A friend of mine has an 09 rockwood and it has the adjustable arm. I have talked with my dealer because I saw on another site Dometic was offering kit for free . I am not having alot of luck I don't know if it is dometic or the dealer any help would be much appreciated thanks. Roger

2010 f250 power stroke
2008 831BHSS Flagstaff
PEANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #2

Email Dometic at: CustomerSupportCenter@DometicUSA.com

They will most likely have you contact your dealer to order the kit. My understanding is that the kit is Free of Charge. The dealer installation is not.

The kit no. for a white awning arm is 3312508.017B.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

A&E Awnings

thanks mike i will check with them sure would make it alot nicer.roger
Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

Not to sound nieve, but how do you know you have this installed or not? I have an 09 Rockwood Windjammer. I have yet to lower the awning on it.
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #5

a&e awnings

Hey dcrc on the awnings with the adjustable arm for tilting,one part of the arm i think is slotted and i know it has a black plastic adjustment knob to lock in place.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

The setup is horrible and nearly unusable.
The spring tension in the arm is so strong you need 3 men and a boy to tighten the knob so the arm you shorten stays shorter than the other one.
Assuming you can tighten it that much, then comes the problem of getting it loose again so you can close the awning.

You don't even want to know what happens if you close the electric awning with one arm shorter than the other.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #7

The setup is horrible and nearly unusable.?????
i got the adj.arm kit from my dealer and installed it in about 1/2 hr. if i leave the nut loose and there is a heavy rain,the weight of the water pushes the loose side down. with the nut loose,i can easily pull the side of the awning down then retighten it to keep the awning tilted .try putting a soft rubber washer under the black knob to make it harder for the arm to slide open when you want to keep it tilted.
don't sweat the small stuff
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
try putting a soft rubber washer under the black knob to make it harder for the arm to slide open when you want to keep it tilted. don't sweat the small stuff
That is a great tip. Lowes has a drawer full of those black rubber washers.

My awning has adjustment arms on both sides. It actually never occurred to me to just loosen the side I wanted the water to dump to and tighten the arm that would stay straight.

At campgrounds I always saw them adjust one side shorter than the other by using a slider and pin setup. I just assumed ours worked in a "similar" fashion. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That is a great tip. Lowes has a drawer full of those black rubber washers.

My awning has adjustment arms on both sides. It actually never occurred to me to just loosen the side I wanted the water to dump to and tighten the arm that would stay straight.

At campgrounds I always saw them adjust one side shorter than the other by using a slider and pin setup. I just assumed ours worked in a "similar" fashion. Thanks!

In the new Users Manual (3312736.014 3/10 ) it show how to lower the arm for water drainoff during rain. I just checked at the online site and they still have the old Users manual. I have contacted them that a newer manual was available. Maybe they will update now.

Until then this is what my manual says:

To Adjust Awning Pitch
1. With awning fully extended loosen the knob on bottom arm
2. Pull top arm down to lower roller tube to desired height
3. While holing top arm in place, tighten knob to set pitch.
4. Repeat for hardware on other side.

Important: To ensure rain water will run off awning ensure that one end of the awning is lower than the other side. This will reduce the potential for water pooling in the center of the awning.

5. Prior to closing awning loosen knobs to allow awning to reset to original position. Lightly lighten knobs to reduce potential for sounds of rattling during travel.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
In the new Users Manual (3312736.014 3/10 ) it show how to lower the arm for water drainoff during rain. I just checked at the online site and they still have the old Users manual. I have contacted them that a newer manual was available. Maybe they will update now.

Until then this is what my manual says:

To Adjust Awning Pitch
1. With awning fully extended loosen the knob on bottom arm
2. Pull top arm down to lower roller tube to desired height
3. While holing top arm in place, tighten knob to set pitch.
4. Repeat for hardware on other side.

Important: To ensure rain water will run off awning ensure that one end of the awning is lower than the other side. This will reduce the potential for water pooling in the center of the awning.

5. Prior to closing awning loosen knobs to allow awning to reset to original position. Lightly lighten knobs to reduce potential for sounds of rattling during travel.
Yea, that's what I thought.

"tighten knob" my butt.
I would need to lift weights for a year to use that method.
No matter how tight I try and make it; in a few minutes the spring extends the arm to the end anyway.
I like Realebill's idea much better.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yea, that's what I thought.

"tighten knob" my butt.
I would need to lift weights for a year to use that method.
No matter how tight I try and make it; in a few minutes the spring extends the arm to the end anyway.
I like Realebill's idea much better.

I agree Lou the washer will help lock the arm. I just wanted you to see what they wrote in the users manual.
I plan on getting the washers myself.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEANUT View Post
My 08 Flagstaff 831BHSS has an A&E awning that you can not tilt for rain run off. A friend of mine has an 09 rockwood and it has the adjustable arm. I have talked with my dealer because I saw on another site Dometic was offering kit for free . I am not having alot of luck I don't know if it is dometic or the dealer any help would be much appreciated thanks. Roger

2010 f250 power stroke
2008 831BHSS Flagstaff
Contact your dealer.
Mine odered it from the factory FREE OF CHARGE.
They even sent it right to me.
I used it for the first time and it worked well.
It mounts on the non motorizer arm of the awning.
Took about 15 minutes to put on.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning