Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

A/C Freezes

Help answer this question I have please..... How come sometimes my Dometic 13.5K A/C freezes up and stops cooling in my Rockwood 188 ETC? When it freezes it stops working correctly and i have to set it to fan untill small pieces of ice start flying and once they stop it starts to work perfectly again!
Thanks....
Capt. Al
alluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Do you have the fan on high? In high humidity situations the higher fan speed may help.

It could also be a symptom of low freon. When the freon is low the freon flashes in the pipes and causes freezing...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Thanks... I beleive we didn't have it on high. We also have the camper in the FL Keys where it's extremely hot and humid. Another factor might be we had people opening the door frequently....
Thanks again......
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

Air conditioners will also freeze up if there is a decreased air flow due to restrictions either at the intake (filter dirty) or exit (duct work) generally taking place in humid conditions. When it is very humid in the camper try opening the 'rapid cool' (vent on the a/c to shoot the cold air down out of the unit, if you have ducts). That keeps the coils warmer as you are moving more air across the coils, making it less likely to freeze the water it is removing from the air.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Also behind the filter there should be a freeze coil about the size of a stack of quarters clipped to the condenser fins. There have been several reports of it not being clipped to them (ours included). Once we clipped it back on correctly we stopped having freeze up problems.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #6

Thanks and sorry for the late reply but we were on vacation in our camper! The a/c worked great for 10 days! The problem was that the filters were dirty and clogged, once i cleaned them it never froze again! thanks once again for the help!.......