Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

A/C interior leak on first camping trip

This is my first post to this forum. We just picked up a 2012 Forest River Catalina 29RLS and took it on its first trip this last week. For the most part, everything seemed to work as expected. The weather was extremely humid, with temps in the low 90's. We set the A/C to 76 (I've since read a post about keeping it 10 degrees below outside temp), and we selected Auto Fan High (vs. Manual Fan High). During the day, I noticed that besides the normal drips off the ends where they should be, there were small leaks coming down the inside of the skin, mostly around the rear door steps and wheel well.

That seemed odd to me, but I didn't worry about it. When I got up early in the morning, I stepped into standing water near the kitchen sink. Obviously, a lot of water was collecting there. We toweled up as much as we could and headed right for the dealer, assuming that we had a serious A/C leak.

They asked me if I was running the A/C fan on auto (shuts on/off with the compressor) or manual (on all the time). When I told him Auto, he said that this was the problem due to icing. He said if I ran the fan on manual when outside conditions are extreme, I would be okay. This explanation does not sit well with me.

I have not been on the roof yet (no extension ladder right now), but it seems odd that there wouldn't be some sort of runoff protection provided for this condition. I'm alarmed that running the A/C will continuously wet the interior of our new camper.

Is there any truth to the Auto/Manual fan "solution"? If I keep the thermostat no more than 10 degrees below outside temperature, should I find no leaks anymore?

Thank you to whoever can shed some light on this.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

oh boy .... your gut feelings are right, time to find a dealer who will fix the problem ....

Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

I hope I don't rain on your parade but 10 degrees below outside temp? Give me a break, it was 98 today. I wouldn't enjoy sitting in my camper with the thermostat on 88. I like it so cool where you could hang meat inside! Maybe you need to do some more investigating on what temp to set it on or put some fingernails into the service department. Anything leaking inside is not normal.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Make sure the fan speed switch is on high - I had a bit of a condensation issue when I was running it on low.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #5

to the forum by the way! We run ours on full manual set as low as possible and have had no problems with icing up or condensation. When we feel comfortable we switch it off and back on when needed. Though we have never needed it at night time yet and so would probably have to use auto, hope we don't get problems too.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #6

There is also the possibility that your air conditioner is a lemon. We had this happen last year, in Texas, with a brand new unit.
Dealership made all sorts of excuses... But we did not back down, and eventually they installed a new one.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #7

My thanks to everyone who replied. The general consensus is that I what I'm experiencing is not normal, and doesn't have anything to do with how I'm operating it. Our second trip is coming up soon, and soon after that, our dealer will be getting a call.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Anything leaking inside is not normal.
I agree you have a leak. A serious one from the sound of it.
Do NOT let the dealer's poor service department ruin your camper.
Find a reputable dealer quickly.
A poorly seated AC roof seal caused me to have the AC reseated and the foam seal replaced under warranty.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...g-on-7112.html

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I hope I don't rain on your parade but 10 degrees below outside temp? Give me a break, it was 98 today. I wouldn't enjoy sitting in my camper with the thermostat on 88. I like it so cool where you could hang meat inside!
Give this a try. You might find you are quite comfortable and you will save quite a bit of money at home, too. I do stop raising it at 85 though.
It has been set at 80 - 85 here all Summer with temps above 100 on many days.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

Update to my original post: I took it in to the dealers today. It turns out the problem was present even when the A/C wasn't running. In the end, it turns out that a hose going to the water pump was leaking onto the floor and working its way into the cabin. My A/C runs fine no matter what mode it's in. Apparently the hose going to the water pump is under pressure from city water even though the pump is not being used. As soon as the fix is made, we'll check it out thoroughly, but it looks like it might just work. Thank you again to all who chimed in with thoughts.

danaaultman is offline   Reply With Quote