Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

A/c noise reducer

Hi everyone,
I just saw WackO Products DA100 Dometic RV A/C Silencer Kit on Rvupgrade.com. and was wondering if anyone has gotten this or know how well it really works. This is our 1st Rv and after we got it found out that the A/C is really loud and can't hear the TV when we are in bed. I'm thinking about buying it but I don't want to spend $190.00 if it doesn't work. They say it will reduce the noise level 8 to 10db.

If anyone ha suggestions of other way to reduce the noise that would be great.

Thanks
Ar-Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Got a link?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

Found it.

A few thoughts. I like the upgraded filter assembly. It makes sense and is well explained in the video. Over and over and over.

The sound absorbing pad looks like carpet foam or similar. I guess it will do the trick.

The unit is larger. Probably helps improve air flow thus the reduction of sound.

I like the idea of blocking the out air vent. I keep mine closed because it does help to quiet the OEM cover. I think I will add foil tape to mine to see if it improves the sound.

Overall it sounds promising but a bit pricy. I am going to tape my vent and see if that improves the sound.

Thanks to the OP for finding.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Here you go...

LMGTFY
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Here you go...

LMGTFY

Haha. Good one.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #6

Just saw this myself. I will probably be working more in the RV this summer while traveling and reducing the AC noise would be helpful when I'm on conference calls. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone gives it a try.

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #7

10dB isn't much noise reduction although it is better than nothing. FYI a 1 dB change is the lowest detectable level with a single frequency sound as heard by someone with absolutely perfect hearing, i.e. nobody. In reality 3dB is the smallest change someone with normal hearing can detect with a single frequency; if multiple frequencies are involved (which is almost always the case) then detection is worse. For example, if you are listening to a song on the radio with an old-fashioned analog volume control and you try to lower the volume by the tiniest amount then when you perceive it has changed then you have typically reduced the sound by 3dB. Realize that isn't a perfect analogy since music is rarely a single pitch but rather a mixture of various pitches. Think single flute playing vs an orchestra.

What this really means is that if you reduced the volume in my example until you detect the sound dropping and then do that again until it drops you have reached a 6db drop. Do it a third time and that is close to 9db. That volume compared to the original volume will give you an idea of the difference, but not the actual level. 10dB would not be perceivable from the 9dB.

This is a crude way to explain it yet it is reasonably accurate. I wouldn't settle for anything that doesn't get at least 18 to 20dB attenuation because I doubt 10 is enough to make a significant difference. You could probably get that much using bath towels to wrapped around the ductwork. (Assuming your RV has duct hoses like mine does).
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

A better description of how much a 10dB drop would be perceived would to measure the db levels with and without the filter. So for example, I have seen several video's where the dB level of RV AC's running was between 68-70dB. Now, if the filter actually dropped the dB level say from 70 to 60, then that would be a nice reduction. For reference, check out this acoustical engineering site which describes the difference between 70 and 60dB noise.

Comparitive Examples of Noise Levels | Industrial Noise Control

70dB

Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB).

Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

60dB

Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet.

Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Saw the video on another thread this am. Don't like the idea of not having the option to open side and front vents to cool your camper more quickly. Don't forget the $190 is plus shipping now most likly over $200. Don't think so. As I have two AC just run the one in the bedroom when watching tv in living room. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #10

A/c noise reducer

Ear plugs. Our previous tr didn’t have ducted air. The only way we could sleep at night was ear plugs.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

I just got through installing A da 100 silencer on my 2019 TT air conditioner. I got to say I'm just happy as a pig in the sunshine. I use a cell phone app to test the before and after DB level. On high fan it reduced noise by 7 Db measured on the booth table. I now can not only hear the TV but I can also hear myself think and carry on a conversation. Yes it's a bit pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. Cheaper than a new air conditioner.
mbkinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
Selective Curmudgeon

Here's how the at at Big Truck Big RV addressed his a/c noise issue in his 5er.

Much cheaper.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #13

Our experience (so far)

Thank you for all the input and options - we have a small Cherokee Grey Wolf camper with a relatively low ceiling. I also have a 6'2" tall son, so we decided to go with the Wacko Products solution instead of the DIY - as much for ceiling height as anything - we only loose about 1/2 an inch with the Wacko Products solution.

So - before installing I measured the noise level of the unmodified AC at full tilt - measuring dB C weighted, slow response (OSHA standard - also how concerts are measured) the un-modified setup peaked at 87.1dB - averaged 81.1dB. Measurement was from the dining table immediately below the unit. We have to raise our voices to be heard across the table and run the TV full tilt.

Post install, measuring from the same spot - peak was 75.6dB average was 73.7dB

As a comparison - our favorite neighborhood pizza joint was 74.5dB with the crowd and soda machine running. Noisy - but still able to have a conversation at the table.

I do some work in acoustics and pro audio - the DIY solution from the video is certainly viable - I think I could squeeze out a few more dB using acoustic insulation instead of foam - but we simply don't have the ceiling height and I can't shorten my son.

The Wacko Products piece is well engineered and the fit is great. It goes in quickly - the hardest part for me was getting the clips/screws off the decorative cover - and that only took a firm tug. installation was under an hour.

Good luck!

Ricko
RickoMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTexan View Post
10dB isn't much noise reduction although it is better than nothing. FYI a 1 dB change is the lowest detectable level with a single frequency sound as heard by someone with absolutely perfect hearing, i.e. nobody. In reality 3dB is the smallest change someone with normal hearing can detect with a single frequency; if multiple frequencies are involved (which is almost always the case) then detection is worse. For example, if you are listening to a song on the radio with an old-fashioned analog volume control and you try to lower the volume by the tiniest amount then when you perceive it has changed then you have typically reduced the sound by 3dB. Realize that isn't a perfect analogy since music is rarely a single pitch but rather a mixture of various pitches. Think single flute playing vs an orchestra.

What this really means is that if you reduced the volume in my example until you detect the sound dropping and then do that again until it drops you have reached a 6db drop. Do it a third time and that is close to 9db. That volume compared to the original volume will give you an idea of the difference, but not the actual level. 10dB would not be perceivable from the 9dB.

This is a crude way to explain it yet it is reasonably accurate. I wouldn't settle for anything that doesn't get at least 18 to 20dB attenuation because I doubt 10 is enough to make a significant difference. You could probably get that much using bath towels to wrapped around the ductwork. (Assuming your RV has duct hoses like mine does).
This is not accurate. The db rating is logarithmic. A reduction of 10db produces half of the volume/loudness. 20db = 1/4, 30 = 1/8, 40 = 1/16th, etc.

Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness

So in real life, a 10db reduction would be perceived as being half as loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loudness_volume_doubling_sound_level_change_factor_of_perceived_loudness_decibel_scale_log_compa.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	221746  

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise