Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

A/C not cold.

We were out a few weeks ago and the A/C just wouldn't cool the trailer off very well. It ran the whole weekend and it used to shut off. I called the dealer where I bought it on Friday while we were using it. The service manager said it was because of the humidity so we kept trying it all weekend and opening the windows probably would have been cooler at night. I got home and searched on the Internet and couldn't find much on it. But I did find that it is hard to get the refrigerant charge correct when you add to it. The dealer said he very seldom has to add any. We lived in it for a year ending last Oct. while I built our house and never had any trouble. My brother-in-law took it to Taladega in the spring and said it didn't work then either. I checked the filter and the coils were clean. What should I do next?
woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #2

Welcome to FRF, woodchuck.

Sorry about your problem with the A/C.
High humidity will do it, but from your statement, sound like it could be more than that.

The A/C unit uses less than a pound of refrigerant, so it wouldn't have to be a very big loss to experience a lack of cooling.
There are other possibilities of low cooling effect. I've added a link below which I hope may help you.

Troubleshooting Roof Top RV Air Conditioners
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

thanks for the great link
he touched on a BIG deal with our new rig or is it when our rig was new? it was a HOT july in north bama
we spent a few days sealing air leaks and complaining about the a/c lack of airflow out of the vents.
i found when i pulled the vent registers out, that the holes cut in the vent system were not sealed with alum ducting tape, they were were just open air leaking holes, and a good deal of cold air was being sent into the roof cavity. so I taped em up with good alum ducting tape and WOW what a difference in airflow. it made a world of difference

it is often the little things.

and today i dropped the ceiling trim panel and vacummmmmmmed the coils
WOW what a difference in airflow and i am getting chilllllly
Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #4

I forgot to add that there is usually a good size puddle behind the camper from the condenser runoff. This time there was not much water at all.

2003 Wildcat 28 BH
woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote