Old 10-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Question A/C upgrade?

My dealer informed me that the 'upgrade' to a 15 from a 13.5 on the A/C unit only gives a bigger fan in the unit...the compressor is exactly the same size...
For $150 extra that would make it a quite expensive fan?
Still in doubt here if i should or not....

2 Great pyrenees
3 newfoundlands
3 shi-tzus (not really dogs)
John&Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think your dealer is wrong. 15,000 btu is more than 13.500, period. If your dealer was correct, I could take a hair dryer with a big fan and heat my house, and that ain't gonna happen. Bigger fan will give you more cfm, cbic feet miute, but will not change the btu rating.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

My Flagstaff 30 foot V lite has a 13,500 unit, and we live in Florida, and it cools very well. These campers are very well insulated, and have ducted vents throughout the unit. One more thing to consider; the extra amp draw from a 15000 btu unit, when running other appliances, say the TV, and cooking on an electric skillet plus lights may be too much for the 30 amp converter. Then the breaker trips, and your'e left wondering what happened! (Ask me how I know.) AND mine is a 13.5 AC. I feel its plenty enough for me.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

BTUs are BTUs, 15,000 is more than 13,500, Windrider is correct, and your dealer is an idiot as most are. No matter the size of the A/C unit you will only be able to run 2 high power appliances on 30amp power no matter what they are, ie. microwave/ac, electric water heater/microwave, hair dryer/skillet, etc, etc, etc. I have had both sizes of A/C unit and it doesn't matter as far as 30 amp power is concerned, if 50 amp is an option I would highly recommend it to anyone buying new. By the way, the amperage rating is for the size of the cord you plug into shore power and the A/C side of things only and does not have anything to do with the D/C or the converter. I wish now I had gone with the bigger A/C unit on our rig and 2 of them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

I would spend the $150 for the peace of mind and resale value. IMHO $150 isn't worth a single bad nights sleep because you're hot.

That being said, AC compressors are also very sensitive to low voltage. So if you plan lots of camping in warmer climates and would be in a campground, you might want to look into a voltage booster to maintain your voltage while everyone else sags.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #6

NWJeeper:

Two of the larger units is definitely worth it on the XLs. I've never had an issue even on the hottest days here in South (Texas / Oklahoma mainly).

My voltage booster kicks in a lot on those days and the meter on the pedestal spins like crazy, but I'm cool :-)
Old 10-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #7

I guess I should have said "too much for the 30 amp breaker at the converter panel box, where the AC breakers are located. Also, like I said, my AC freezes us out, even on those mid July 100 degree scorchers in Florida, so we are happy. (My kids are always closing their vents in the room, because it is too cold for them. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Tammy View Post
My dealer informed me that the 'upgrade' to a 15 from a 13.5 on the A/C unit only gives a bigger fan in the unit...the compressor is exactly the same size...
For $150 extra that would make it a quite expensive fan?
Still in doubt here if i should or not....
The fan should be a bit larger but it's the compressor as well as the evaporator coil that effect BTU output. The larger the coil and compressor the larger fan is needed to move enough air through the coil so it doesn't freeze up. That's why especially on RV AC units it so important to keep the filter clean. I have over 33 years experience in the HVAC field. The biggest problem of oversizing AC equipment is it cools too quickly without dehumidifying. The 1500 BTU difference in an RV will not be a problem. It's not that much over but on really hot days it's going to run quite a bit anyway. I'd go for the 15,000 BTU unit.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
NWJeeper:

Two of the larger units is definitely worth it on the XLs. I've never had an issue even on the hottest days here in South (Texas / Oklahoma mainly).

My voltage booster kicks in a lot on those days and the meter on the pedestal spins like crazy, but I'm cool :-)
Steve, where were you when I ordered my rig? My thinking was that we do 90% of our camping up here in the northwest where we need heat not cool and I figured that was 70lbs less weight to carry. After our maiden voyage to Arizona and Utah in 90 degree weather I saw the folly of my thinking. the dark color, fully body paint doesn't help either.

I can surely see a 2nd unit in my future, luckily FR did wire for and provide the breaker in the panel for the 2nd a/c unit. I will be looking into the heat pump units in the future.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
My dealer informed me that the 'upgrade' to a 15 from a 13.5 on the A/C unit only gives a bigger fan in the unit...the compressor is exactly the same size.
Your dealer is wrong. Please forgive him(her).