Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

A Near Miss.....Loss Of Breaks

At the end of 2008 I bought a new tow vehicle and retired my 1997 GMC Suburban. The Suburban has been sitting in my driveway all Summer and not used. I was cutting down a tree in my front yard and had all the branches load in my utility trailer and I decided to use the Suburban to take the load to the dump, well as I was headed to the dump one of my tie-down straps came loose so the closest place to pull over was in Low's parking lot, after securing the strap I returned to the Suburban, I put my foot on the break pedal to put it in drive and the pedal went all the way to the floor, I then open the hood and found break fluid leaking from the bottom of the truck " I am glad I have triple A Plus" It had to be towed..... I think the man up stairs was looking out for me, if it wasn't for the strap coming loose I think my butt would have been in some deep do-do, and I am so glad I was not towing my TT. The Suburban is in the shop for repairs.$$$$$ I have never had a problem like this before, so for those who have older trucks be careful.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Enjoying Member

WOW!

Once again a member of FRF that has an angel sitting on his shoulder. I am thankful to hear you had the experience in a parking ot and not on the road. I worked as a mechanic for many years and even to this day I have some family and friends that refuse to let me give up that trade. It saves money on personal bills for repairs for sure. I know for personal and professional experience that losing ones brakes is no fun at all. I always told my clients my priorities are brakes and tires first and tune ups and cosmetics after. You need to be able to stop and steer or going fast and looking great wont matter. Maintenance is tough in many states that don't have state vehicle inspection requirements.

Once again, glad to hear you are safe and this wasn't a different story.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
At the end of 2008 I bought a new tow vehicle and retired my 1997 GMC Suburban. The Suburban has been sitting in my driveway all Summer and not used. I was cutting down a tree in my front yard and had all the branches load in my utility trailer and I decided to use the Suburban to take the load to the dump, well as I was headed to the dump one of my tie-down straps came loose so the closest place to pull over was in Low's parking lot, after securing the strap I returned to the Suburban, I put my foot on the break pedal to put it in drive and the pedal went all the way to the floor, I then open the hood and found break fluid leaking from the bottom of the truck " I am glad I have triple A Plus" It had to be towed..... I think the man up stairs was looking out for me, if it wasn't for the strap coming loose I think my butt would have been in some deep do-do, and I am so glad I was not towing my TT. The Suburban is in the shop for repairs.$$$$$ I have never had a problem like this before, so for those who have older trucks be careful.
Reminds me of the old CW Mcall song, Wolf Creek Pass. "Earl rared back, cocked his leg, steped down as hard as he could on the break, and it went right to the floor and stayed right there on the floor, he said it's kinda like stepping on a plumb!"

Glad your O.K.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a big "THANK-YOU" to the one above is in order. Funny how he looks after us sometimes, and we don't even know he's doing it. Glad all is OK
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Glad to hear this happened at the Lowes parking lot instead of Rte 140. There's hardly any room for error with good brakes not to mention no brakes. It's one of those things that makes you realize that someone is always watching over you.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #6

Just received a call from my wife that the Suburban is now setting in my driveway, It was delivered by the mechanic that worked on It.
The problem was that the break line on the drivers left front wheel had broke due to rust, all other lines were inspected and are good to go. Back on the road for $160 bucks.
The thing that bothered me the most while I was waiting for the tow truck is what type of devastation I could have caused If I did not stop to take care of a tie-down strap, the damage that I could have caused to someone else and there family, It sent chills up my spine.
The reason I posted this thread was not for myself, but to bring to light the hazards of older vehicles that may need extra attention, just a second look.
I have 6 vehicles on the road, a travel trailer and a utility trailer as well, so I know about maintenance, at the first sign of a problem it is address, there was no sign with the Suburban. I am glad it is over....Thanks everyone.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Enjoying Member

It is really great that you are thinking of others this way. It is one of the great features of this site and most campers in general. Friendly and willing to lend a hand.

Some people have asked us why we use our camper to do our large biker show events and not just rent a hotel room. Well we answer with a few different reasons. The standard issue of not knowing how dirty the room really is but the main reason we always stress is that we enjoy hanging out with other campers and sharing good times with new friends. This thread is just one example of that.

Thanks!

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote