Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #11

So, it sounds as everyone agrees that it is a CG electrical issue, and NOT an AC or inside the trailer mechanical problelm.

Thats puts me at ease a bit......until it is 130 degrees in the trailer!! Oh, the fun!

- See 'ya on the road! Typically on 146.520 for the other traveling hams!
farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #12

generally, if it is a problem in the park, u won't be alone.
that probably doesn't make u any cooler....

Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #13

Breakers exist in trailers in houses and trailers to protect the wiring inside of them from overheating and starting a fire. They are not for protecting devices from overloading. An a/c breaker shouldn't trip due to it working hard. There are fuses and other things in the device to prevent it from over loading. An a/c unit is rated for 20 amps shouldn't be able to run at more than that without the motor overloads kicking in first. The a/c unit will only cool the ambient air to I think around 20-25 degrees cooler than ambient air. So if it is 105 degrees out. You will be lucky if your trailer can get to 70 or 75 degrees. I have to agree that there is probably something wrong with the campground supplying the power. My guess is power surges and or voltage drop. There is no such thing as amperage drop.
Voltage drop can occur if demand is too much from the source or the campground supply.
Sorry if I rambled but I am a journeyman electrician and trying to explain it without getting to technical. Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Talking is easier than typing.
]
[SIGPIC]
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #14

Just though of a way to simplify the a/c overloading thing. If one covers the nozzle of a vacuum you notice the motor start of over work. Usually on fixes the obstruction before you break the vacuum. If you don't clear the obstruction the vacuum would burn out way before the breaker trips. Another way to look at is at home if one has a in window air conditioner. If the unit is too small for the room it is in, the room stays warm. No matter how hard the unit works. It could be going 24/7 trying to keep the room cool. The unit would fail before the house breaker trips. Electrical appliances are designed to not exceed its source capacity. If it is output is 15 amps it will not exceed 15 amps.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

At the risk of trying to over-simplify....

Any electrical device, such as an A/C unit, requires a relatively constant amount of *power* to do the work asked of it. For electricity:

Watts (power) = amps x volts

Since volts is typically considered a constant, then devices can be rated according to their amp demand; which is how breakers are sized. This works 99.9% of the time.

However, if the voltage drops, then to maintain constant *power*, the amp draw must rise. Small changes usually go unnoticed as most devices have some tolerance to different voltages.

But, if the voltage drops enough (such as when trying to supply a whole park full of AC units), then the amp draw through your post will go up and can exceed your breaker rating.

An earlier post noted that, at higher temperatures, refrigerant requires more work (power) to compress it. I hadn't thought of that before, but if an electrical device is asked to do more work, then it will draw more amps through the post.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #16

Attempted to delete my post with no luck. Corrected post follows.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #17

Thanks kablair for that. It was stuck in the back of my head and couldn't type it out. lol. Late night insomnia postings.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablair View Post
At the risk of trying to over-simplify....

Any electrical device, such as an A/C unit, requires a relatively constant amount of *power* to do the work asked of it. For electricity:

Watts (power) = amps x volts

Since volts is typically considered a constant, then devices can be rated according to their amp demand; which is how breakers are sized. This works 99.9% of the time.

However, if the voltage drops, then to maintain constant *power*, the amp draw must rise. Small changes usually go unnoticed as most devices have some tolerance to different voltages.

But, if the voltage drops enough (such as when trying to supply a whole park full of AC units), then the amp draw through your post will go up and can exceed your breaker rating.

An earlier post noted that, at higher temperatures, refrigerant requires more work (power) to compress it. I hadn't thought of that before, but if an electrical device is asked to do more work, then it will draw more amps through the post.

Thanks for this post. As I was reading the thread, this is all I had in mind. At the house, we kept blowing a capacitor in the DW's wine cooler and the DirecTV receiver would reset every once in a while. I took my Digital Volt Meter (DVM) and was measuring 108VAC (RMS). Problem found, now the fix. I called one of my buddies from the City Utilities and told him what I found. They came right over and what they found was that the transformer that we were feeding from had 5 houses on it and the transformer was over 40 years old. The transformer was there before everyone had AC in their houses, so when everyone was running their stuff, we were getting "brown power" (low voltage) which appliances needed more amps to produce the needed power. The wine cooler's cap couldn't handle the amp draw and would pop. The sat receiver would start to have a problem around 110VAC (I was familiar with the sat tv issue from my marine electronics days). The city utilities upgraded the transformer to a 35KW and now no more brown power. When it is cool out and there isn't much draw, I read about 122VAC at my new UPS with voltage input/output display and about 116VAC when it is hot and all the houses are running AC.

One other thing that can cause the breaker to trip in different places is a weak contact in the plug at the CG pedestal. If you have to use an extension from the standard 25 ft power cord, that can also cause a voltage drop, hence higher amperage draw. Gotta love Ohms and Watts. Great Laws (Ohm's law and Watt's Law)

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker