Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

ac not cooling

hi,
we bought a 2014 coachmen in march. now that we need the ac we learned that it is not cooling. its running etc.
had a tech come out to campsite to check, and he said the compressor is not drawing enough power, indicating a leak....
soooo...he suggested replacing the whole unit for a total of $1500...ouch....help.

does anyone have any experience with fixing a leak? how dowa it work and what parts are required?
its a dometic b59516.711co

thank you in advance
tom

just another depserate camper....
tomabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

I am not an RV A/C repairman. I have worked on residential, auto, and industrial A/C units. I have replaced quite a few RV A/C units on friends RV units. This is my opinion based on experience. Can an RV A/C unit that has a leak and has lost it's refrigerant be repaired, such as adding freon to an auto A/C unit? NO. RV A/C units are built as sealed units and have no ports to check low and high pressure and to add freon. They are basically throw away items when they go bad. There are some out there who will state that "tap valves" can be added to the refrigerant lines of an RV A/C so that pressures can be checked and freon added. Well, that is true. But--these tap valves are notorious for developing leaks within a short period of time. A really good A/C service tech can solder in ports, which probably will not leak for a long time, to service an RV A/C unit. Is this cost effective vs. a replacement unit? NO. I am more familiar with Dometic units than Coleman and a new 15,000 BTU Dometic core can be bought in the $550 range. A core does not come with the top cover, the Air Distribution Box, etc. According to the model # you posted your unit is a Dometic Brisk Air II 15,000 BTU model, which is a very common model. Changing out an RV A/C unit is not really that hard at all. Replacement units actually come with printed instructions and there are many videos on YouTube as to how to do this. The first thing to do would be to disconnect the shore power cord. $1500 to replace an RV A/C unit is a rip off IMO.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #3

X2
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

I do agree with you on replacement vs repair. I have talked to many rv shops here in my area in Ontario but it is so hard to find a reputable dealer that has knowledgable staff to find a replacement unit that will as they say just plug and play. One dealer told me a Coleman unit wd fit right in with electrical hook up at unit. Seems odd to me but when I ask about a Dometic unit to replace my exact unit I am told I will liekly have to rewire things such as thermostat and control box. Also where can u purchase just the core unit as that is really all I need to stay cool up here in this 95 degree weather now ��
Any help is greatly appreciated in advance !! Happy camping !
38BHDS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling