Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #11

could air flow be obstructed?

my friends camper, which is new, had a piece of Styrofoam stuck in the air duct. they had a serviceman come out to the campground and he opened up the inside ceiling section, where the air filter is, and found Styrofoam in there..

I bought a stanley blower fan and use it to get better air circulating from the living area to the bed room. I shut off the upper bunk bed, and use it for storage only.

you've been given a lot of great ideas! i am going to replace all my bulbs this week! the ones in there put off so much heat! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #12

Stay away from the led bulbs that look like paddles. They only have LEDs facing down and do not produce as much light because they don't have LEDs on the side facing the metal reflector in the housing. I suggest the bulbs in my previous post.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #13

LED bulbs

Yes, I saw the link you provided. They will fit under the little domes, like in bathroom/shower?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #14

Yes sir. If you are worried you can use these. Slightly smaller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LO0M918/ref=yo_ii_img

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

We also use the covered insulator "cushions" in our roof vents. And for Phoenix heat have resorted to one of the portable home A/C units vented out the drivers door window in tandem with the roof air on our Solera.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #16

You can verify that your AC is working OK by measuring the air temp right where the cooled air is exiting the AC. My understanding is that a normal temp drop from ambient temp in the camper will be about 19º-20º. If that is the temp drop, you need more AC capacity and less heat gain. The suggestions to reduce heat gain are all on target. Installation of a second AC solves many complaints about inadequate cooling. ACs come in various sizes - 8,000, 11,000, 13,500, 15,000. If you have a 50A trailer you should not have too much trouble removing vent and installing another unit. If you only have a 30A trailer, you will need to be more creative with powering the AC.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Western PA Happy Campers

I also had the same problem in my 27RLWS when I picked it up this year. Used the reflective bubble wrap from Lowes for skylight vents. I placed it on pieces of foamboard cut to size. Also took down the AC assembly cover in the camper. I found stryrofoam extending down into the ducting and removed it to improve airflow. Also take a look at the final air outlets in the ducting. The factory uses spray foam to terminate the ducting, but sometimes it doesn't completely seal the ends. I cut some cardboard to fit into the ducting to properly seal the ends so no air is going past the last outlet. X2 on all the other suggestions as well.
lciaramitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #18

recently we had a similar issue. We spent a week in Phoenix at 116 for daytime high and 95 for a low. It was very hard for the ac to keep up. We found our best move was to change the way the sun hit the camper. Because we were locating in a lot we were able to change the trailer from going easy west( nose - tail) to facing north south. We then put the awning out and now the sun would only see the roof. Not be also along one long side during the day. This alone helped drop 10 deg inside and we would see highs of just 82. That actually feel pretty nice when it is 116 outside. To further add we purchased a "mister" from lowes hooked it up to our outside shower and placed it on the roof. Pretty comfortable from that point on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #19

I feel for you, I have a 38 foot Wildcat 327ck with two ducked ACs, 15,000 and 13,500 BTUs and it does cool it down by the 20 degrees. To do that in SE Texas in the summer they run all of the day time hours. Good Luck

Tags
cooling, trailer