Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

AC problem>

Howdy, all,

I own a 2008 wildcat loft, with a 15000 BTU Dometic duotherm. Today, the AC stopped blowing cold, all of a sudden. I am pretty sure it is not low on freon, due to the suddeness of the problem. I thought there was perhaps some sensor, or something that I might bypass? Is there something that would cause my compressor to stop coming on, all of a sudden?
Havensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #2

There is a possibility if there was a voltage drop at the camp ground there could be a capacitor failure in the unit. The capacitor is mounted on the PC board in the unit. Dometic is known for this, they can not handle a voltage drop. This could be one of many things. If you are able to get up on the roof of your camper and remove the cover you will see the control board, the capacitor is round and my be blue in color. Most of the time if the capacitor blows it will burn the control board. Please do one thing before you get on the roof..... TURN THE BREAKER OFF !!!!!!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Freeze-up is the first thing I thought of. Take the filter out and look at the coils to see if there's any ice on them.

Besides rockwood06's suggestion, there's a freeze coil on the evaporator fins above the control box if you have a ducted unit. It shuts the compressor down when it senses the evaporator freezing. There's a relay that could have gone out too. Then there's always the t-stat if your's has one. Of course the compressor going south isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Hopefully it'll be something simple like, just running your fan on high cause it froze up.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

I figured it out! I got on the roof and took he cover off, and then took the cap off of the top of the (compressor? condenser?Anyway the the big black vertical canister, that has wires going in the top). When I took the cap off sparks flew everywhere (I had my wife cycling it, to see if I could hear something:like the compressor trying to kick in). Apparently the post that goes up and holds the cap over the contacts/wires, had rubbed/shook against the wire enough to actually snap it off the spade connector. I found another spade connector, put it on (along with a liberal amount of electrical tape to prevent more sparks) and Whala! It works!
Havensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Glad you got it fixed that easily. Now you can be cool.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

The first thing I learn in the mechanical field is to look for the obvious then proceed. You are lucky you caught it in time, more damage could have occurred. Good job glad it was something you could see. FYI most problems with A/C systems is electrical about 85% of the time, that includes high voltage and low voltage or what is known as control voltage. The other 15% is the refrigerant circuit. and Happy camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Glad you got it fixed. Posting things like this will help others to troubleshoot. Thanks guys.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote