Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Add an inverter....or run with the Generator?

I'm just curious about others experience? I've been told it really depends on distance, how much fuel your willing to burn? Talked with a few who do run their generator...and others who say no way. The TV mounted above the driver and passange seats isn't visable while in motion on the 374ts, but it will keep the kids occupied with dvd's and games.

Have to add? Does anyone with Georgetown experience know the the pick up height on the generator fill? Rough estimate? Should I expect to fill the motor home at a 1/4 tank to be safe?
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #2

i how a georgetown 2009 373ds and i have been told when you go below 26 gallion in the tank the gen will not run.
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

I was told around a 1/4 tank. 26 gallons would put it around a third of a tank. I'm leaning toward installing an inverter this summer.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

I was told 1/4 also. Most states do not allow the TV to be ON up front while in motion (wired up to the ebrake).

I went on to ebay and bought a 9" overhead 12VDC DVD screen that also happens to play games for 120. You can mount it above your nook and fold it away when your ready for the big screen.
SoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

I'll only run the generator on shorter trips. I've already ordered the inverter and will install when we get back from Florida. The TV in our 374ts is right above the cockpit, (Peter Griffen laugh). It is possible to watch from the drivers seat, but too much of a strain. For the kids on the sofas though.....very good viewing. I spoken to many who run with the TV on. As far as the e-brake. You can buy a 30amp relay and bypass the e-brake. Or, put in a toggle at arms reach under the dash if you feel the need to show JL it doesn't work in motion...lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

I wired a spst switch to my Pioneer's DVD/NAV e-break check wire. Had to run the toggle because It was smart enough to know that if the wire was permanently grounded to NOT activate the dvd.
I'll be looking for the relay in my GT also.... These coaches are not running TV's purpose built for RV use, any AC shut off relay is third party and should stick out like a sore thumb.
SoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote