Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Added some new goodies to the TT

I picked up out TT last friday from Lone Star RV center, we had them installl a new carefree awning, a Husky power tongue jack, and two Camco roof vent covers. We are very pleased with the new stuff, but I think the vent covers have drastically reduced the air flow through the roof vents, has anyone experienced this? I guess that is why they also sell the vents with fans in them, oh well live and learn. Atleast we will not get rain in the TT if they are open now in bad weather.

We are having 4 new tires installed tomorrow morning and then we are off to a State Park to try out all of the new stuff.

I have dome some searching on the forum and it looks like the concensus is to have the new tires balanced, I was planning on doing this. The tires from Forest River are not balanced and they are showing some cupping and uneven tread wear. I hope that balancingteh new ones will give me a smoother tow and prolong the life of the tires. Why does Forest River not spend the extra $20 or so and balance them out of the factory? This may lead to fewer tire failures if they did. I can just picture four unbalanced tires hopping all over the road and never rolling smoothly on the paved surface, this has got to cause more heat and stress on the tires in my opinion.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dan, I just installed a couple of Camco vent covers a couple of weeks ago, and so far so good. I like them. True, they might restrict a little airflow, but the advantages of leaving the vents open in the rain definitely outweigh that.

As far as balancing tires, I did mine shortly after I got my camper. A couple of my tires took several ounces of weight, which meant they were really bouncing down the road be that was done.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Dan, I just installed a couple of Camco vent covers a couple of weeks ago, and so far so good. I like them. True, they might restrict a little airflow, but the advantages of leaving the vents open in the rain definitely outweigh that.

As far as balancing tires, I did mine shortly after I got my camper. A couple of my tires took several ounces of weight, which meant they were really bouncing down the road be that was done.
Thanks for your input!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

i also just installed the Camco's in little to no time...really like them..it is nice to have the TT not so stuffy after hauling it down the road...and nice to leave them open at night and not worry about the rain

Mark and Connie
2008 3001W Windjammer
2005 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L
Equal-i-zer WD
mkollath is offline   Reply With Quote