Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

I would not do that with out a transfer switch. If you forget and connect to shore power and back feed the generator you could cause a fire and damage your generator...and more. Do it right or don't do it.

Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

I would just use an extension cord to the rear inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I would not do that with out a transfer switch. If you forget and connect to shore power and back feed the generator you could cause a fire and damage your generator...and more. Do it right or don't do it.
Or, you could back feed the incoming AC line, causing injury or death to anyone working on the service.

If you install a backup generator in your house, YOU MUST, by code, install a transfer switch to prevent back feeding the incoming service. Too many lineman have been injured or killed by jury rigging a system with out a transfer switch.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #14

Or, I can fabricate an interlock like on a house panel.... https://www.interlockkit.com/ InterLock Kits meet all NEC requirements for optional standby systems (Article 702)

I agree with you guys about powering panel via transfer switch, that is the way my house is set up with the generators. I was going to do the interlock device on my house panel when I was going to buy a 240 volt generator, but decided to buy smaller gens and just power 6 circuits.

Anyhow, I need to figure out what each circuit powers. I know GFI will power receptacles in bathroom, kitchen, and outside. AC prep is probably 2nd AC, and recept probably powers bedroom, BH, and refrigerator receptacles.

I'm leaving all options open.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #15

How about running your wire from the generators in your truck to a 30 amp receptacle mounted in the compartment with your power cord. When travelling, plug your 50 amp cord with an adapter into the receptacle. When you want shore power, simply unplug and move the cord outside.

Tags
50 amp, breaker, generator