Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

Adding 30 amp generator receptacle to 50 amp breaker

My Wildcat has 50 amp service and I will like to add a 30 amp receptacle to the front of the RV for generator hookup. The 50 amp receptacle is located at the rear of the RV and the 2 Champion 2000 watt inverter generators are in the truck bed. If I add a 30 amp twist receptacle to the front and run a wire to a new 30 amp breaker on the panel, I will only power one leg.

I will like the option to run everything except the 2nd AC and water heater off generator. If I add the generator breaker to the left side I will power almost everything except the converter.

Can I move the water heater to the right side 15 amp breaker and the converter to the old water heater 15 amp breaker on the left?

Here's the panel.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_084016.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	113327  

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Buy a 5o amp extention cord.
Done. [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

Hell with that 50A HEAVY Cord,get a 30A and a Adapter! Cheaper,lighter,and will handel the 30A output of the Genny's! Youroo!!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hell with that 50A HEAVY Cord,get a 30A and a Adapter! Cheaper,lighter,and will handel the 30A output of the Genny's! Youroo!!
X 2 that is how mine is done. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Team

I think I understand what you're wanting to do and why. I don't blame you for wanting to do it that way.

First lets list a caveats.
1) When plugged into shore power, and the 30 amp breaker is left on, the 30 amp receptacle will be hot.
2) When running the generators, and the 50 amp breaker is left on, one leg of the 50 amp shore power receptacle will be hot.

If you can live with that, then what you're proposing is doable.

It's no problem to swap the water heater and converter power to opposite sides.

If you really wanted to make it fool proof, you could install a transfer switch between the two sources of power and that would insure that you could never have both on to the distribution panel at the same time.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

Since you want to add a second power input to the breaker panel then its best, safest, and the preferred method to install a transfer switch. Having 2 power feeds to one breaker panel without going through a transfer switch or lockout box is a sure way of electrocuting someone. You will not own the RV forever; the next owner will expect the unit to be wired correctly. You don't want the new owner to get any shocking surprises.

Cheapest and best option since you have to run a cord to the generator is to drop the shore cord, add a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter to plug in the generator.

If you insist on adding the second power input: install a transfer switch, install a duplicate 50amp receptacle, use the correct adapters to connect the 30 amp output from the generator to the new 50amp power input.
While you are at it consider installing a hardwired EMS.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Team

I understand what you are trying to do, but feel it is really unnecessary as some others do. As suggested, all you really need to do is get a proper sized 30 amp extension cord to run from your generators in the truck bed to your 50 amp cord on your RV, connecting via an adapter.

I don't know how long your 50 amp cord is, but if it's 25 feet, then all you need is a 30 amp cord to reach the remaining distance to your truck bed.

When you use the 50-30 amp adapter, then BOTH legs inside your RV will have power (just a total of the amount of amps provided by your generators). You can selectively not use what ever items in your RV you don't need in order to not overload the generators capability.

That's a lot easier (maybe not as pretty) than running new wires/outlets etc.

The diagrams below may help you understand how a 30-50 amp adapter utilizes a jumper to provide power to both legs of your RV's 50 amp distribution panel. This link also explains the adapter and how it works.

http://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
My Wildcat has 50 amp service and I will like to add a 30 amp receptacle to the front of the RV for generator hookup. The 50 amp receptacle is located at the rear of the RV and the 2 Champion 2000 watt inverter generators are in the truck bed. If I add a 30 amp twist receptacle to the front and run a wire to a new 30 amp breaker on the panel, I will only power one leg.

I will like the option to run everything except the 2nd AC and water heater off generator. If I add the generator breaker to the left side I will power almost everything except the converter.

Can I move the water heater to the right side 15 amp breaker and the converter to the old water heater 15 amp breaker on the left?

Here's the panel.....
I will also say it's better to just use a cord/adapter and plug into your existing service.

To address your question about swapping sides for the water heater/converter... you'll need to move the wiring inside the box from breaker to breaker and not move the actual breakers.

The water heater/micro breaker on the left is a tandem breaker (single space) and the converter breaker is a single space. Swapping breakers would cause you to lose the use of the micro.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Site Team

I do have a separate question for you, which concerns the generators really. Do you have any kind of surge guard/EMS system installed on your RV or are using a portable kind?

If you do, then you may want to look at this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-112215.html

If not, then ignore this entire post.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

I will like to have generators genning while traveling down the road to power AC for the dog relaxing in the RV. Also, it will be nice to pull over, crank the gens and relax in a cool RV or use microwave without pulling cords out.

When plugged into shore power, I will turn off 30 amp breaker to kill the generator receptacle. While on generator, I can flip off 50 amp breaker to kill it's receptacle. So there are no live receptacles for someone to touch.

I thought about liability on resale with having a "rigged" generator service. I plan on keeping this RV for another few years, when I resale, I will pull wire out conduit and replace 30 amp receptacle with a battery vent to cover hole. Problem solved.

Adding transfer switch will be ideal, but I'm only going to use generators a few times a year. I already have 10/2 wire, just need breaker and receptacle. I'm thinking about running conduit down frame, so I don't have to drop entire belly pan.

I'm brainstorming now.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

I would not do that with out a transfer switch. If you forget and connect to shore power and back feed the generator you could cause a fire and damage your generator...and more. Do it right or don't do it.
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #12

I would just use an extension cord to the rear inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I would not do that with out a transfer switch. If you forget and connect to shore power and back feed the generator you could cause a fire and damage your generator...and more. Do it right or don't do it.
Or, you could back feed the incoming AC line, causing injury or death to anyone working on the service.

If you install a backup generator in your house, YOU MUST, by code, install a transfer switch to prevent back feeding the incoming service. Too many lineman have been injured or killed by jury rigging a system with out a transfer switch.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #14

Or, I can fabricate an interlock like on a house panel.... https://www.interlockkit.com/ InterLock Kits meet all NEC requirements for optional standby systems (Article 702)

I agree with you guys about powering panel via transfer switch, that is the way my house is set up with the generators. I was going to do the interlock device on my house panel when I was going to buy a 240 volt generator, but decided to buy smaller gens and just power 6 circuits.

Anyhow, I need to figure out what each circuit powers. I know GFI will power receptacles in bathroom, kitchen, and outside. AC prep is probably 2nd AC, and recept probably powers bedroom, BH, and refrigerator receptacles.

I'm leaving all options open.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #15

How about running your wire from the generators in your truck to a 30 amp receptacle mounted in the compartment with your power cord. When travelling, plug your 50 amp cord with an adapter into the receptacle. When you want shore power, simply unplug and move the cord outside.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, breaker, generator