Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #1

Question adding a set of stabilizers

I bought 2 scissor jack stabilizers and have been using them in front of the tires to help take the bouncing out when walking through the camper. It worked great so I decided to have them mounted to the frame. I had a rv repair guy look at it he that the is not flange on the I frame to bolt them to using the 3/8"bolts that came with the jacks.
I thought instead of using 3/8" bolts use 1/4"bolts which looks like they would fit on the flange. Will this work or just give up mounting them? Can they be welded on? I would have to find a welder.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Do you have a pic of how the jacks fit to the frame?

If the jacks are mounting underneath the frame, so that there is no stress on the bolts when in use I don't see an issue. The bolts would be there to hold the jack while in transit, which shouldn't require too large of a bolt as long as they are tightened down properly.

But a pic would help...
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

I made "U" brackets and welded them to the top of the jacks and slid the "U" brackets up on the 2 x 4 tubing in front of the axles. Works great and does not require welding or bolting into frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Side AxleJack 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	38739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Side AxleJack Frame Mount.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	38740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Side Axle Jack Mount.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	38741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Axle Jack Retracted.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	38742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle stabilizer jack.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	38743  

Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I bought 2 scissor jack stabilizers and have been using them in front of the tires to help take the bouncing out when walking through the camper. It worked great so I decided to have them mounted to the frame. I had a rv repair guy look at it he that the is not flange on the I frame to bolt them to using the 3/8"bolts that came with the jacks.
I thought instead of using 3/8" bolts use 1/4"bolts which looks like they would fit on the flange. Will this work or just give up mounting them? Can they be welded on? I would have to find a welder.
I just made a plate to match the mount flange of the jacks. Drill opposing corners (2) holes. Use (2 )3/8 bolts to mount the jacks as per OCs Pic. The (2) bolts allow the proper angle to clear the Tire. Made plate on top of square beam -two 3/8 bolts-jack-lock nuts-tighten- DONE! Youroo!! Ps NO welding!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

I wanted more 'stabilization' than the factory front and back stabilizers were giving me. I bought a set of scissor jacks and found two problems right off. The propane gas line was running on half the frame rail and the jack would sit offset and not imo be very sturdy with only a couple of self taping screws to hold it on. The second problem was that my side skirts dropped down to far to be able to jack (screw in) the jack up as high as it should be to the frame and not flop around when traveling. Solution to me, Camping world sells a quick release 'plate' that screws to the frame and allows the the jack to be quickly pulled off and stored away.
I did not buy mine from this company, it is only used as an example:
RV Save A jack Attachment Saver Quick Release Scissor Jack Protector at RVToyOutlet.com

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers