Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
The Old Man

Adding an additional 110v receptacle

I have a 2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS and there is only a single 110v receptacle in the kitchen area which is located on the front of the base cabinet. This is very inconvenient for plugging in the coffee pot, toaster, etc.

I want to add an additional 110v receptacle near the back of the counter top near the side wall. There is plenty of room under the cabinet for me to simply extend power from the existing receptacle to a new box that I will install. I will be using a "floor mount" type housing so that the receptacle itself will be mounted to the underside of the counter top and will be covered with a stainless steel cover when not in use.

I'm not an electrician but do have a lot of wiring experience with regular house circuits. My question is whether or not this extension works just like a normal house circuit using 12/2 romex w/ground, or do I have to do something different like connecting the neutral and ground together as I've seen referred to in some other threads? Seems pretty straight-forward but was wondering if anyone has done a simple addition like this?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

Just like you would do it at home. I don't think I would put it in the surface of the counter top though as it seems like the possibility of a spill of liquid into it would be too easy.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
The Old Man

Thanks for the reply. I have a special purpose floor-type receptacle box unit which has rubber grommets for the wires with the plugs themselves hidden below the surface and a nickel plated hinged cover designed for horizontal surfaces ($40 at Lowes). The unit is designed to seal against dirt and liquids.

Raco Decorator Duplex Receptacle Floor Box Kit at Lowes.com

I will take some pictures and let you know how it works out. Might be a few weeks before I get around to it so any other input is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Here's a link to "Add a another 110v receptacle".
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have a special purpose floor-type receptacle box unit which has rubber grommets for the wires with the plugs themselves hidden below the surface and a nickel plated hinged cover designed for horizontal surfaces ($40 at Lowes). The unit is designed to seal against dirt and liquids.

Raco Decorator Duplex Receptacle Floor Box Kit at Lowes.com

I will take some pictures and let you know how it works out. Might be a few weeks before I get around to it so any other input is welcome.

Thanks!
Water and electricity don't mix....
Even dirt and liquid proof can fail or at least "operator error" spilling water on the counter with the coffee pot plugged in.

Murphy was an optomist.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

Here's another .
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
The Old Man

Thanks for the link! Might come in handy elsewhere in the TT.

The reason I want to go with a horizontal mount on the counter top is because to put in even a flush mounted receptacle like the one in the linked article would put any wires from appliances hanging over the counter edge right in the entrance area on the side by the door.

I suppose I could put the recessed fixture on the side of the base cabinet since the plugs from the appliances themselves would be down inside the box with just the wires showing. That's a possibility I will have to consider.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

Willis, most of the trailers I've seen has a receptacle installed under the cabinet, above the counter top. Are you sure there isn't one there.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Willis, most of the trailers I've seen has a receptacle installed under the cabinet, above the counter top. Are you sure there isn't one there.
I sure don't think so. My wife and I looked all around (we just took delivery last week) and we were confounded that there was no receptacle on the wall. This is my 4th TT and the other 3 all had a wall receptacle as you described. Maybe we were just too tired from spending all day cleaning out the old TT for trade-in.

I'll certainly take a second look before I start cutting or drilling.

But you know...I just got to thinking...(dangerous)...I wonder if there's a receptacle INSIDE the cabinet for the microwave? Will have to look. If so I could tap that and put a new box inside the upper cabinet facing down...hmmmm...now I can't wait to take another look. (My TT is parked on some property I own about 2 hours from home.)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #10

There is a receptacle for the Micro. I know, I pulled mine out to add under counter lights.

Tags
110v