Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
The Old Man

Adding an additional 110v receptacle

I have a 2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS and there is only a single 110v receptacle in the kitchen area which is located on the front of the base cabinet. This is very inconvenient for plugging in the coffee pot, toaster, etc.

I want to add an additional 110v receptacle near the back of the counter top near the side wall. There is plenty of room under the cabinet for me to simply extend power from the existing receptacle to a new box that I will install. I will be using a "floor mount" type housing so that the receptacle itself will be mounted to the underside of the counter top and will be covered with a stainless steel cover when not in use.

I'm not an electrician but do have a lot of wiring experience with regular house circuits. My question is whether or not this extension works just like a normal house circuit using 12/2 romex w/ground, or do I have to do something different like connecting the neutral and ground together as I've seen referred to in some other threads? Seems pretty straight-forward but was wondering if anyone has done a simple addition like this?
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

Just like you would do it at home. I don't think I would put it in the surface of the counter top though as it seems like the possibility of a spill of liquid into it would be too easy.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
The Old Man

Thanks for the reply. I have a special purpose floor-type receptacle box unit which has rubber grommets for the wires with the plugs themselves hidden below the surface and a nickel plated hinged cover designed for horizontal surfaces ($40 at Lowes). The unit is designed to seal against dirt and liquids.

Raco Decorator Duplex Receptacle Floor Box Kit at Lowes.com

I will take some pictures and let you know how it works out. Might be a few weeks before I get around to it so any other input is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Here's a link to "Add a another 110v receptacle".
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have a special purpose floor-type receptacle box unit which has rubber grommets for the wires with the plugs themselves hidden below the surface and a nickel plated hinged cover designed for horizontal surfaces ($40 at Lowes). The unit is designed to seal against dirt and liquids.

Raco Decorator Duplex Receptacle Floor Box Kit at Lowes.com

I will take some pictures and let you know how it works out. Might be a few weeks before I get around to it so any other input is welcome.

Thanks!
Water and electricity don't mix....
Even dirt and liquid proof can fail or at least "operator error" spilling water on the counter with the coffee pot plugged in.

Murphy was an optomist.
rmgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

Here's another .
Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
The Old Man

Thanks for the link! Might come in handy elsewhere in the TT.

The reason I want to go with a horizontal mount on the counter top is because to put in even a flush mounted receptacle like the one in the linked article would put any wires from appliances hanging over the counter edge right in the entrance area on the side by the door.

I suppose I could put the recessed fixture on the side of the base cabinet since the plugs from the appliances themselves would be down inside the box with just the wires showing. That's a possibility I will have to consider.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #8

Willis, most of the trailers I've seen has a receptacle installed under the cabinet, above the counter top. Are you sure there isn't one there.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Willis, most of the trailers I've seen has a receptacle installed under the cabinet, above the counter top. Are you sure there isn't one there.
I sure don't think so. My wife and I looked all around (we just took delivery last week) and we were confounded that there was no receptacle on the wall. This is my 4th TT and the other 3 all had a wall receptacle as you described. Maybe we were just too tired from spending all day cleaning out the old TT for trade-in.

I'll certainly take a second look before I start cutting or drilling.

But you know...I just got to thinking...(dangerous)...I wonder if there's a receptacle INSIDE the cabinet for the microwave? Will have to look. If so I could tap that and put a new box inside the upper cabinet facing down...hmmmm...now I can't wait to take another look. (My TT is parked on some property I own about 2 hours from home.)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #10

There is a receptacle for the Micro. I know, I pulled mine out to add under counter lights.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
The Old Man

OK, finally got back to the rig this weekend (a 2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS we have parked for the summer on property 2 hrs from home) and got to do our first "shakedown" cruise.

There are definitely no receptacles near the back corner of the kitchen counter top, which in this TT is right next to the entrance door.

There is a receptacle mounted to the bottom of the upper cabinet that is between the sink and stove. I hadn't seen that one when we took delivery last month because you have to squat down low to see it. For anyone who likes to see dangling wires over the stove, it was a brilliant design.

But apparently FR fixed this issue on the 2011 models. In this picture you can see that there are now TWO receptacles on either side of the kitchen light and that the one on the right has been placed farther from the stove. But now they put it right in front of the paper towel holder...go figure! On mine that receptacle is the only one "up top" and is very close to the range hood.

So after studying the situation, I can tap into the poorly located receptacle near the range hood. Then I will run wire over to the "box" containing the main control panel near the door (in this picture of the 2011 that panel is hidden but it's located near the upper right corner of the exit door). Then I'll install a surface-mount receptacle on the exterior wall between the door and the kitchen window. I think a wall mounted receptacle is a better solution than an additional under cabinet one like they added to the 2011 model because it avoids "dangling" cords. The new wire will run in existing wire trace voids except for about an 18 inch vertical section from the bottom of the cabinet to the new receptacle. That 18 inches will be covered by a white, flat surface-mount conduit designed for the purpose which will definitely be more attractive than dangling cords.

I will provide pics when complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	829RGSS11.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2791  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #12

i have a cardnal 2002, may not be the same but my reciptical is located under the top cabinet. i wanted one closer to the stove and simply draped a #12 short extention cord over the window.
by the way, that reciptical (under the upper cabinet) is on a ground fault from the bathroom. seems like the tv and computer are on the same circuit.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #13

on mine, the reciptical is located near the outside wall several ft from the stove top. my extension idea would not be a good one for ur trailer...too much heat exposure.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
The Old Man

Job complete and described in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...acle-9010.html

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #15

I used the same type of box that Milzat shows only I installed it at the end of the knife holder behind the stove top. I also used double sided sticky tape on a cordless kettle base next to the knife holder on the counter and it works like a dream.The cord is stored in the base of the kettle with just enough wire coming out to plug it in. The power was taken from the electrical box on the front of the counter that we seldom use.
Draytondave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v