Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Addition & Replacement Of Stabilizer Jacks

I recently purchased a 2006 Surveyor SV264 and we were planning on taking our first trip next week. In preparation I was looking to see what type of stabilizer jacks it had and to my surprise I only have two up near the front of the trailer and they consist of a single arm that lowers and not the sissor type. I should have been more observant when I was looking over the trailer to purchase it but that's hind sight. Since my trailer is noted as a 28' model will the current configuration be enough to stabilize the trailer or do I need to think about placing two at the rear and if so exactly how far from the rear of the frame should I place them? Would I want to turn them 90 degrees to the frame so I could access the hex drive from each side of the trailer? Also if I need to add two to the rear I might as well go ahead and upgrade the two single arms on the front to sissor jacks since I've been told that they have a more stable effect than the single arm type. I looked under the frame and couldn't find any signs near the rear of the trailer that would indicate that it originally came with jacks back there. Any help would be appreciated.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
TeresaInCAL

Our 22' did not come with any stabilizers, we didn't know enough to know they weren't there. Anyway, yes, you want good scissor jacks on the front and back.
I'm also going be be getting some stabilizers for the sides. We have teenaged boys, and when they move, it's like sleeping on jello.
As far as where to put them...someone else will have to answer that, as we had a shop do it for us.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL
Our 22' did not come with any stabilizers, we didn't know enough to know they weren't there. Anyway, yes, you want good scissor jacks on the front and back.
I'm also going be be getting some stabilizers for the sides. We have teenaged boys, and when they move, it's like sleeping on jello.
As far as where to put them...someone else will have to answer that, as we had a shop do it for us.
Some or most manufactures dont recommend slide stabilizers.

Install instead jack stabilizers.
Bal brand is what I have in the rear of mine.
The fronts I made.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
The x chocks you put between the tires will help a lot as well.
Rotorhead102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think the recommended placement for rear stabilizers is 2' from rear of frame.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

The rear stabilizer jacks on my trailer are 1" from the back of the frame end.I added stabilizer jacks approx 1/2 way between the front and rear jacks,this along with BAL jack stabilizers and x-chocks stop nearly all of the motion of the trailer.I find that I have to adjust up the jacks after the 1st day then it's good to the end of the weekend.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote