Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
2x Forest River Owner

Question Adjusting Ducted AC Flow?

Hi All,

Before I start opening things up and tearing things apart to determine if this is possible, I thought I might post here.

I find that the AC ducts in my new 2009 Salem 27RBS TT are very inconsistent as to the flow from each vent. The duct over the rear bunk blows like heck, but it's NOT the closest one to the AC unit. I'd like to try and figure out a way to move some of that flow to the front bedroom where the wife and I would like it. Also, my son has pretty sensitive bronchial tubes and sinuses, and he probably doesn't need all of that cold, dry air blowing on him - unless we want to be wiping his nose all day!

In my home AC system, there are dampeners (sp?) that allowed me to adjust the flow of the air as I saw fit at the blower unit. Is this possible on a TT?

As an aside, are there any posts or pages that show how the AC in a ducted TT system works? (I tried the search feature here to no avail)

Thanks for your help!!

Eric

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team

the "ducts" are just chanels carved out in the styrofoam insulation. When I say carved, I really mean they just break out a piece. It's quite possible that the outlets that are not producing good air flow are partially blocked. It's also possible that the outlet that is blowing hard is on the end of the run and therefore get a lot of flow. It's not possibe to put conventional dampers in the duct but a handy person could figure a way to limit air flow out of one or more registers. You could take an inspection mirror and make sure the barriers have been broken out to allow sufficient flow to those registers.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Try this:

I assume it's the last one in that duct in that direction, if you follow me. Remove the vent from above the bed and stuff some foam rubber up in there to partially block the air flow in the duct. Don't push the foam to far from the vent as you might want to remove or adjust it at some point.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Site Team

What Radio said!!
All you need to do is partially "plug up" the ducts that blow too hard.
You can also use a wal-mart bag wadded up or tied in knots to achieve
what you wish.
Simply remove the movable vent and stuff a bag in there and replace.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Another use for those infamous Wal-Mart bags. Those things have 1001 uses.

Partially blocking the vents are a good suggestion but I'd still look through them with and inspection mirror.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
2x Forest River Owner

Thanks all! Sounds easier than I thought it would be

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #7

From looking at your picture on the thread, the A/C system is not in the center of your TT it looks like it is more to the back. I suggest to remove the discharge vent from your bed room and the next one down that is in line with it place a light up in side and use an inspection mirror to see if it is blocked in some way. If there is no blockage then go to the next one down the line. Normally when A/C systems are not centered the duct work is reduced in size on the longest side to build more static pressure so that the air flow is forced out and the duct work is extended 4 to 6" past the last discharge vent.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote