Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Air bag deflating on 2006 charleston

We bought a used 2006 FR Charleston 400QS. This is our first diesel. Once we park the coach, the air bags deflate. We only use the leveling jacks when needed. Are they suppose to deflate automatically? I have researched and not found any answers. Thanks

1 understanding wife
1 Smooth Fox Terrier & 1 Lowchen
B n B Travlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the real answer, but all I can offer is they apparently do on a lot of coaches. Have read plenty of complaints on here about people cranking their coach early in the morning and letting idle for an hour or more before they leave. The excuse seems to be to pump up the air bags.

By the way to the forum.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #3

Our 2008 Berkshire (Charleston's little brother) automatically dumps the air when we put the jacks down. You can absolutely hear the air dumping. Also when we bring the jacks up, the engine MUST be running, and the air guages should be near the top - usually requires runing the engine 2-5 minutes. The jacks coming up triggers the airing of the suspension. Don't try to move the coach until the air is up.
2008 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Crew Cab Toad
Callie - Fur Kid
kmsavage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #4

We don't even put the jacks down and the air deflates. We do wait until the pressure builds up before taking off. It is just a pain that the coach sinks so much. I guess there is not anything we can do about it. We did learn the hard way!! Never sit anything under it until it has finally settled. LOL
1 understanding wife
Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsavage1 View Post
Our 2008 Berkshire (Charleston's little brother) automatically dumps the air when we put the jacks down. You can absolutely hear the air dumping. Also when we bring the jacks up, the engine MUST be running, and the air guages should be near the top - usually requires runing the engine 2-5 minutes. The jacks coming up triggers the airing of the suspension. Don't try to move the coach until the air is up.
The air bags dumping air is not directly from the jacks being put down. It is more an effect of putting them down. Hope that makes sense. On the chassis of the coach there is a leveling valve that controls the air in the bags. When you put you jacks down it raises the coach slightly and therefore the leveling switch on the bags feels the need to reduce air pressure to lower the coach back to set hight. Please do not confuse this with a auto leveling device that levels true, this is a setting the factory has established to keep proper air pressure in the bags so the coach does not "squat" when loaded. As weight is added this lowers the coach and therefore requires more air in the bags to raise coach to "normal" level again. Also the flip side when weight is removed all that extra air PSI would raise the coach and also provided a stiffer ride so this valve lets air PSI out to set position back to "normal".

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B n B Travlers View Post
We don't even put the jacks down and the air deflates. We do wait until the pressure builds up before taking off. It is just a pain that the coach sinks so much. I guess there is not anything we can do about it. We did learn the hard way!! Never sit anything under it until it has finally settled. LOL
This is common on vehicles with air ride and or air brakes, it normally indicates a leak in the air system however there are permissible air leaks so it isn't necessarily a problem. Another probable cause, if you read my above reply to another post you will see how an air system works. So think about this, what happens every time you enter / exit the vehicle, walk from front of coach to the rear? Weight changes and the air bags are compensating for this. Eventually you run out of air in the system and the bags go flat.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
This is common on vehicles with air ride and or air brakes, it normally indicates a leak in the air system however there are permissible air leaks so it isn't necessarily a problem. Another probable cause, if you read my above reply to another post you will see how an air system works. So think about this, what happens every time you enter / exit the vehicle, walk from front of coach to the rear? Weight changes and the air bags are compensating for this. Eventually you run out of air in the system and the bags go flat.
I should add, if you hear air leaking under dash or around coach when no one is moving around or in and out you may have a more than acceptable air leak and need to get that checked out.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I always thought that if the air remained in the bags and, starting from that point, you leveled the coach with the jacks, there would be two effects. One: the jacks would loose several inches of effective travel and, Two: the last step down to the ground would be a doozie.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #9

We have a rock guard on the back. As we sit here at this campground, I am looking at every other diesel coach and none of them who have rock guards are smashed into the ground like ours. They are sitting just like when they drove in. I don't quite see what the jacks have to do with the coach dropping down since we have not even deployed them. I guess I am confused as to what is suppose to happen. Thank you all for your comments. I will have them checked out just to be sure there is not a problem.
1 understanding wife
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dear b and b
Simply put you have an air leak! When your coach is not running all the air leaks out and the air bags deflate.
if you want your camper to look like the rest USE YOUR JACKS.