Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Air compressors

I am looking at getting a small air compressor for winterization, tires, etc. i would like something portable and less then $100 if at all possible. So with that in mind what would be a recommended model and brand? Is the 1 gal. size ones for like $60 decent to use? what recommended fittings for it would be handy? I thinking i will end up keeping it with the TT as we do plan on taking bikes and such with us come next camping season. is oil free electric better then gas? corded uncorded?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

i am pretty sure you want something like the ones harbor freight sells for $99.. 8 gal ..2 hp... on wheels high voume... low pressure (30 psi ) when you set the control knob..

Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

I just picked up a one gal compressor from Amazon along with a city water fitting. I did both compressed air winterization and antifreeze flush this afternoon. Both methods worked well. The 1 gal compressor did fine but this was my first time doing it so I didnt have anything to base it on. The antifreeze flush was easy and with that in mind I may do some winter camping this season. Below are the links to the gear I picked up from Amazon. Someone else may want to weigh in to see if these items are the best.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JJ588
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOCBAM
Amazon.com: Camco Mfg 36104 Marine Plastic Blow-Out Plug: Automotive
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

If all you will use the compressor for is winterizing and the occasional tire inflate I would get the smallest and cheapest compressor you can find. You would only need a gas compressor if you are without AC power when you camp. The oil free refers to not having to lubricate the piston in the compressor. Keep in mind the duty cycle of the smaller compressors. A small (cheap) compressor will not handle inflating very many large objects like huge tires and boating inflatables.

I have a small 2 gal compressor that I have used for at least 15 years without a problem. I use it mainly for nail guns and tires. My wife has abused it inflating her towable boat toys. It is a Cambell Hausfeld.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

I keep my Stanley/Bostich compressor with me during the summer. It came as a kit with my trim nailers but is really compact and it can inflate flat tires as well as my airbags. I used it at a gas station after paying the $.75 for air and their compressor didn't work. I had to unplug theirs and plug in my own. Make sure you have enoug hose for a deal like that.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

so i am going to assume the min. i should get is at least 2 gal.?I don't forsee me doing any heavy duty type jobs with this. just the typical bike tires, maybe vehicle tires, tt tires, winterization, and balls. i see brand doesn't seem to matter as it is just a matter of prefernce to each person. I haven't looked at harbor freight yet. I was looking on amazon and seen some refurbished ones for $60. what is everyones opinion of refurbished versus new?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

I bought this one from Walmart this summer.

Walmart.com: Campbell Hausfeld 3-Gallon Compressor: Tools

Jorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Lottery Non-Winner

You can occasionally get the $60 one from Harbor Freight for $39. It is not usually that price, but every few months, they drop the sale price more than usual for a week or so.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

The size, or gallons in this case, mainly determine how often the unit cycles on and off. The smaller the more cycling. If you plan on taking it with you smaller is better. I won't bother taking my 2 gallon with me, there is not enough room.

As far as new versus refurbished goes both are only as good as the company that stands behind them. I have purchased several pieces of equipment that are refurbished instead of new. As long as you get the same warranty I don't see the difference.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #10

In today's paper was a harbor freight flyer advertising (among other jewels) a 3 gal. 100 psi oil less air compressor for $40... Central pneumatic I believe is the brand. Sound like a winner?

House97 is offline   Reply With Quote