Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Air compressors

I am looking at getting a small air compressor for winterization, tires, etc. i would like something portable and less then $100 if at all possible. So with that in mind what would be a recommended model and brand? Is the 1 gal. size ones for like $60 decent to use? what recommended fittings for it would be handy? I thinking i will end up keeping it with the TT as we do plan on taking bikes and such with us come next camping season. is oil free electric better then gas? corded uncorded?
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

i am pretty sure you want something like the ones harbor freight sells for $99.. 8 gal ..2 hp... on wheels high voume... low pressure (30 psi ) when you set the control knob..
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

I just picked up a one gal compressor from Amazon along with a city water fitting. I did both compressed air winterization and antifreeze flush this afternoon. Both methods worked well. The 1 gal compressor did fine but this was my first time doing it so I didnt have anything to base it on. The antifreeze flush was easy and with that in mind I may do some winter camping this season. Below are the links to the gear I picked up from Amazon. Someone else may want to weigh in to see if these items are the best.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JJ588
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOCBAM
Amazon.com: Camco Mfg 36104 Marine Plastic Blow-Out Plug: Automotive
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

If all you will use the compressor for is winterizing and the occasional tire inflate I would get the smallest and cheapest compressor you can find. You would only need a gas compressor if you are without AC power when you camp. The oil free refers to not having to lubricate the piston in the compressor. Keep in mind the duty cycle of the smaller compressors. A small (cheap) compressor will not handle inflating very many large objects like huge tires and boating inflatables.

I have a small 2 gal compressor that I have used for at least 15 years without a problem. I use it mainly for nail guns and tires. My wife has abused it inflating her towable boat toys. It is a Cambell Hausfeld.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #5

I keep my Stanley/Bostich compressor with me during the summer. It came as a kit with my trim nailers but is really compact and it can inflate flat tires as well as my airbags. I used it at a gas station after paying the $.75 for air and their compressor didn't work. I had to unplug theirs and plug in my own. Make sure you have enoug hose for a deal like that.
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

so i am going to assume the min. i should get is at least 2 gal.?I don't forsee me doing any heavy duty type jobs with this. just the typical bike tires, maybe vehicle tires, tt tires, winterization, and balls. i see brand doesn't seem to matter as it is just a matter of prefernce to each person. I haven't looked at harbor freight yet. I was looking on amazon and seen some refurbished ones for $60. what is everyones opinion of refurbished versus new?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

I bought this one from Walmart this summer.

Walmart.com: Campbell Hausfeld 3-Gallon Compressor: Tools

Jorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Lottery Non-Winner

You can occasionally get the $60 one from Harbor Freight for $39. It is not usually that price, but every few months, they drop the sale price more than usual for a week or so.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

The size, or gallons in this case, mainly determine how often the unit cycles on and off. The smaller the more cycling. If you plan on taking it with you smaller is better. I won't bother taking my 2 gallon with me, there is not enough room.

As far as new versus refurbished goes both are only as good as the company that stands behind them. I have purchased several pieces of equipment that are refurbished instead of new. As long as you get the same warranty I don't see the difference.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

In today's paper was a harbor freight flyer advertising (among other jewels) a 3 gal. 100 psi oil less air compressor for $40... Central pneumatic I believe is the brand. Sound like a winner?
House97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by House97 View Post
In today's paper was a harbor freight flyer advertising (among other jewels) a 3 gal. 100 psi oil less air compressor for $40... Central pneumatic I believe is the brand. Sound like a winner?
That's the one I posted the picture of.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 10-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

going to have to check that out. i don't have a harbor freight near me is their flyer ads good online as well?

update: just checked out the harbor freight online and they have that model but its $60 there on sale. but another question that comes to mind. i see pancake models and then i see like small hot dog tube style models. both are the same other then that. is there a preference to the style or not?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
going to have to check that out. i don't have a harbor freight near me is their flyer ads good online as well?

update: just checked out the harbor freight online and they have that model but its $60 there on sale. but another question that comes to mind. i see pancake models and then i see like small hot dog tube style models. both are the same other then that. is there a preference to the style or not?

Keep an eye on that price. It drops periodically.

As for pancake/hotdog preference, I'm not aware of a reason one would be better than the other.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Lottery Non-Winner

Just looking in the December edition of Car & Driver, there is an ad near the back. The compressor I posted about previously has a coupon for 39 bucks at harbor freight. (told y'all)

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #15

Just curious. If all you are doing is the occasional tire, ball and blowing out your water lines. Could you not use a tankless compressor? It would be small enough to carry with you and provide plenty of pressure to blow out the lines come winter. The only thing you would need to find,or put together would be a valve stem to connect to a fitting for your blowout issue. I am sure you could find one much cheaper going that route. I was just thinking.
firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by firephighter View Post
Just curious. If all you are doing is the occasional tire, ball and blowing out your water lines. Could you not use a tankless compressor? It would be small enough to carry with you and provide plenty of pressure to blow out the lines come winter. The only thing you would need to find,or put together would be a valve stem to connect to a fitting for your blowout issue. I am sure you could find one much cheaper going that route. I was just thinking.
Honestly not sure. I have a small portable style one I use for just our bikes.its not powerful enough for vehicle tires or anything heavy duty
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by firephighter View Post
I have a tankless compressor. I tried to add 10psi to one of the TT tires on the side of the road one evening. After about 30 mins on the side of the road, I gave up. It had only added 5PSI.

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor I purchased when doing some renovation work on the house. I use it often for many things. It is small enough that I can tote it along on most trips. I have a 3500 watt inverter that will power the compressor when commercial power isn't available. It really is handy to have. I do recommend a tanked compressor.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #18

For blowing out water lines, just about any size (1gal+) will do. As mentioned above, the smaller the tank, the longer it will run between faucets to build backup to (output) 30-40 psi. IMO, it is more important to make sure you have a hose/adapter configuration that will allow you to connect the compressor to your city water input without having to hold it in place.

I took a ~6" piece of old garden hose (male end), used a hose clamp and an air tool 3/8" male quick disconnect at the other end. At the end of my compressor's hose I have the female quick disconnect fitting. I connect the hose end to my camper, inner lock the quick disconnects and turn on the compressor. That seems to work great.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
I have a tankless compressor. I tried to add 10psi to one of the TT tires on the side of the road one evening. After about 30 mins on the side of the road, I gave up. It had only added 5PSI.

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor I purchased when doing some renovation work on the house. I use it often for many things. It is small enough that I can tote it along on most trips. I have a 3500 watt inverter that will power the compressor when commercial power isn't available. It really is handy to have. I do recommend a tanked compressor.

The small compressors do have trouble with putting air in a tire that already has 60 or so pounds in. But for something that is far more flat they do work. Also there is no pressure inside the water lines for it to overcome. I do see that it would be a more lengthy process because of pressure having to build up in the lines instead of having it right off in an airtank. Taking that into consideration is it possible that you would have an airtank that you put air in then you could pressurize your lines from that.
firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #20

VIAIR makes great portable air compressor. We bought one that has a tank on it and mounted it under truck.

This is the one we put on frame rails

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote