Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Alignment

Should a new MH get a front end aligment? When the chassis is delivered to the MH factory it was probably aligned when built. But after the MH is installed does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.

I just purchased a new 2011 Coachmen Mirada and it is running fine. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

all should have been re-aligned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
But after the MH is installed
does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.
yes we would think
that all should have been re-aligned
after new weight was added
there may be a settling in period
keep a close eye on tire wear
if wearing even
no problem
if not
some alignment shops
offer lifetime alignment for slight extra charge
IF we plan on keeping them for a long time
may be worth the extra investment

Mountainman

Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

My new sunseeker was out when delivered. FR will reimburse you for an alignment if done within 90 days of delivery. Check with you dealer.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Check out this thread: Update on front end alignment issue

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Update to my question. I took my 2011 Coachmen Mirada in for a front end alignment today just for my own peace of mind. Well it needed an alignment and casters in order to do the job right. The tech ask me how it drove and wondered why it took so long for me to bring it in. Only have 2100 miles on new rig, 1080 of which was delivery miles from factory.

Wow, what a differance it made. Even on the short 15 mile trip home I notice a big change in the handling.

Now I am going to contact Forest River and see if I can get some $$$$ back since I purchased this rig on Dec.6, 2011.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

The question:"Should a new motor home get a front end alignment"? I would say YES, based on working with front end alignments for a number of years. BUT--most front end shops cannot align a motor home chassis due to them being a "heavy-duty truck" chassis. There are specialty alignment shops out there that have the correct equipment for doing these. I also firmly believe that once the chassis assembly has had the coach and equipment installed, the weight of all this does change the factory alignment settings. As to the poster stating the he needed "casters" in order to do the job right: There are no such thing as "casters" as far as parts. Caster is one of the settings on front end alignments, not a part. Caster is when the upper ball joint is ahead of the lower ball joint just slightly, this makes a front end easier to turn. This is much like the wheels on a computer desk chair.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

Thurman, You caught me. I misspoke. After rereading my invoice I saw it was wedges they needed to install. Where I got casters from I don't know. You know as we get older things get mixed up and we get brain cramps now and again.
As for the shop that I went to, they do heavy equipment such as local transit buses, firetrucks, semis, and Motorhomes. They are well known in town for being the best at what they do.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

2004 Wildcat 5th wheel purchased May '11. New tires installed. front tire (passenger side) is wearing badly and other three look new after towing about 10,000 miles. Any suggeestions as to the problem and the remedy? Thanks, billwilly
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

I'm not aware of any adjustments like MH front ends on trailer axles. My guess is it hit something which bent the axle or spindle on that side. Axles can bend and loose alignment especially camber due to over loading or just fatigue but then both wheels would be wearing unevenly. An alignment shop could certainly check it and possibly heat and bend it back. Probably better to just replace the axle.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

thanks for your response. Reviewing the other items in this thread, I see it is mostly of class A types, not my 5th wheel version. Searchngi, this was the only thread that came back. New to the site. Will continue to try to get to the proper source.

Tags
alignment