Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Alignment

Should a new MH get a front end aligment? When the chassis is delivered to the MH factory it was probably aligned when built. But after the MH is installed does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.

I just purchased a new 2011 Coachmen Mirada and it is running fine. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

all should have been re-aligned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
But after the MH is installed
does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.
yes we would think
that all should have been re-aligned
after new weight was added
there may be a settling in period
keep a close eye on tire wear
if wearing even
no problem
if not
some alignment shops
offer lifetime alignment for slight extra charge
IF we plan on keeping them for a long time
may be worth the extra investment

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

My new sunseeker was out when delivered. FR will reimburse you for an alignment if done within 90 days of delivery. Check with you dealer.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Check out this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ssue-4824.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Update to my question. I took my 2011 Coachmen Mirada in for a front end alignment today just for my own peace of mind. Well it needed an alignment and casters in order to do the job right. The tech ask me how it drove and wondered why it took so long for me to bring it in. Only have 2100 miles on new rig, 1080 of which was delivery miles from factory.

Wow, what a differance it made. Even on the short 15 mile trip home I notice a big change in the handling.

Now I am going to contact Forest River and see if I can get some $$$$ back since I purchased this rig on Dec.6, 2011.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

The question:"Should a new motor home get a front end alignment"? I would say YES, based on working with front end alignments for a number of years. BUT--most front end shops cannot align a motor home chassis due to them being a "heavy-duty truck" chassis. There are specialty alignment shops out there that have the correct equipment for doing these. I also firmly believe that once the chassis assembly has had the coach and equipment installed, the weight of all this does change the factory alignment settings. As to the poster stating the he needed "casters" in order to do the job right: There are no such thing as "casters" as far as parts. Caster is one of the settings on front end alignments, not a part. Caster is when the upper ball joint is ahead of the lower ball joint just slightly, this makes a front end easier to turn. This is much like the wheels on a computer desk chair.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

Thurman, You caught me. I misspoke. After rereading my invoice I saw it was wedges they needed to install. Where I got casters from I don't know. You know as we get older things get mixed up and we get brain cramps now and again.
As for the shop that I went to, they do heavy equipment such as local transit buses, firetrucks, semis, and Motorhomes. They are well known in town for being the best at what they do.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

2004 Wildcat 5th wheel purchased May '11. New tires installed. front tire (passenger side) is wearing badly and other three look new after towing about 10,000 miles. Any suggeestions as to the problem and the remedy? Thanks, billwilly
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

I'm not aware of any adjustments like MH front ends on trailer axles. My guess is it hit something which bent the axle or spindle on that side. Axles can bend and loose alignment especially camber due to over loading or just fatigue but then both wheels would be wearing unevenly. An alignment shop could certainly check it and possibly heat and bend it back. Probably better to just replace the axle.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

thanks for your response. Reviewing the other items in this thread, I see it is mostly of class A types, not my 5th wheel version. Searchngi, this was the only thread that came back. New to the site. Will continue to try to get to the proper source.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #11

@ billywilly: If you have installed four new tires and are noticing substantial tire wear on the right front tire, then let's back up and think a minute. The tires that were removed from the unit--did the right front tire seemed to have excessive wear as compared to the other three tires? IF SO--then you probably do have an axle problem. IF NOT-- then it sounds as if there may be a tire mounting and/or rim problem. Back to the old tire--IF you did have a wear problem at the right front location you would have to find a shop that can remove the axle and check it for proper camber and toe-in on the axle. Have you ever seen a mobile home axle or camper axle that looked to be "bowed" up vertically in the middle, and "bowed" towards the back just a little? That is how they set the camber and toe-in--bend the axle. First I would rotate the tires, do an "X" pattern, record which tire came from where and went where. Keep a record of mileage and watch the right front location for excessive wear on the tire rotated to that position. IF you see excessive wear as compared to the other tires--you have an axle problem. IF the excessive wear goes away--you have/had a tire/rim mounting problem that still needs attention to the original tire from that location. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #12

David, I appreciate your reply. The tires were old when we bought it and put
new tires on it before driving it the 250 miles home from point of purchase.
Did not take notice (duh) of their condition other than age. Thanks for your
suggestions and I will follow them and see how things are after the next 1M

miles or so. Regarding rotation: I've always been told radials should keep
the same direction of rotation?
Another tool in the box: I'll take a long straightedge and tape measure to
check wheel alignment before buying the next rig.
Thanks, Bill
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #13

parts

I have been trying to search this site for sources for parts for my camper, specifically the automotive type gasket that seals the living/dining room slide against the side of the camper. I have a leak that only presents itself when towing in a rain.
Do I need a part number from Forest River, or is it just something you order by the foot?
thanks, billywilly
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #14

Several years ago a friend had a similar problem on a dual axel TT. He kept wearing the inside third of the tire. After two tire replacements he finally had a shop check the spindle. They found that the spindle had not been welded straight in the jig and was out of align about 1/4". He replaced the axel and never had another problem. Not saying this is your case, just food for thought.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #15

KevinC, thanks for your input. I have taken two long straightedges to both sets of wheels and determined that the passenger side front (problem) wheel is about 3/8 inch out of alignment with its companion wheel. A bent spindle might be the problem. I believe i'll just have to live with the problem until I'm home again - where I've got the space, tools to work. Any idea about the cost of a new axle? Or where to go on the inet to find one? Thanks again, Bill
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly
KevinC, thanks for your input. I have taken two long straightedges to both sets of wheels and determined that the passenger side front (problem) wheel is about 3/8 inch out of alignment with its companion wheel. A bent spindle might be the problem. I believe i'll just have to live with the problem until I'm home again - where I've got the space, tools to work. Any idea about the cost of a new axle? Or where to go on the inet to find one? Thanks again, Bill
Usually at either the rear or tongue there will be a frame mfg. metal plaque with frame type and company. I would start there. After that there may be a sticker in the axel. If so then it's just a Internet search to find source and best price. Switching an axel is not that difficult a little muscle and some careful measuring.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
I have been trying to search this site for sources for parts for my camper, specifically the automotive type gasket that seals the living/dining room slide against the side of the camper. I have a leak that only presents itself when towing in a rain.
Do I need a part number from Forest River, or is it just something you order by the foot?
thanks, billywilly
Most likely it would be better to contact FR about the slide seal you need. Just provide the Make, Model and Vin # and they should be able to help you. I once needed a replacement seal for our old hybrid Keystone Litehouse. Contacted Keystone and had them ship it out. They usually run a little long so you can trim it to fit. If you know exactly what the size and configuration is you may be able to match it to something from theses web-sites.

http://www.all-rite.com/rubber-seals-gaskets-c-38.html

http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Product...CategoryID=173

Good luck !!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

KevinC and cfsoistman, thanks for the direction. Appreciate your help.

Tags
alignment