Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

All in one LP/Gas/Carbon Monoxide Detector?

I'd like to replace the current detector in our RV with one that will detect all other gases. I'm not sure if ours is faulty, but I stored our Coleman Propane lantern in the storage area and it must have moved the knob and let the propane out and the entire RV smelled of it, but the detector never went off? I thought it was supposed to go off for situations like that? So I'm thinking maybe the one that came with RV is for different gases?

Anyways, is there a all in one that any one can recommend to replace factory one?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

No thoughts on this? anyone

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The propane used in a Coleman lantern should activate the propane detector in your camper if there was enough concentration. If the gas slowly leaked out, then the concentration may not have been enough to set the detector off, meaning there was never enough concentration for the propane to ignite.

Try this: Light a butane lighter, blow out the flame but keep the button pushed down. Put that directly in front of the propane detector. The detector should go off within 30 seconds or so. If not, then it is probably time to replace the detector.

I see where you have a 2012 model, so it might be a warranty item.....many appliances carry a warranty longer than the camper warranty.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

I believe you require two different detectors as propane is heavier than air and thus should be mounted low and carbon monoxide being lighter than air is mounted higher.

This is the way it was explained to me.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ruben,
Would this be covered under warranty for you? I believe these have a 12-month warranty.

If DIY then I know that Safe-T-Alert has an all-in-one unit although I can't attest to its quality.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
I'd like to replace the current detector in our RV with one that will detect all other gases. I'm not sure if ours is faulty, but I stored our Coleman Propane lantern in the storage area and it must have moved the knob and let the propane out and the entire RV smelled of it, but the detector never went off? I thought it was supposed to go off for situations like that? So I'm thinking maybe the one that came with RV is for different gases?

Anyways, is there a all in one that any one can recommend to replace factory one?

Was the trailer battery connected? If not and you are not on shore power either the detector won't work.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I'll have to check it out with that butane test. Do any of you know how long alarm sounds for? maybe it was sounding while we were out hiking.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB