Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Ammonia smell in bathroom

I’ve recently installed a Siphon 360 on the black tank vent for odor issues from my last trip. This time I’ve noticed a semi strong ammonia smell building up in the bathroom. It’s not the refrigerator, it’s running fine. I also have rinsed the black tank with a Tornado twice now. Just emptied out the gray and black tanks to see if it goes away. I’ve poured water into the shower drain Incase the p-trap was dry (never used the shower). I’ve also switched to using Odorlos tank chemical instead of drop in packs. My tank has been rinsed since switching. Could the smell be the mixing of the two still? I’m stumped right now. We’ve never had this smell before. This is our fifth trip with our camper since we bought it last July. The smell seems like it hovers around higher in the bathroom. I doesn’t seem to come straight up out of the toilet when I flush it.
Dan0753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

Do you have a Dometic 300 toilet? If so, get rid of it and you will get rid of the odor.

Bruce
Old 06-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

That’s what toilet it is. I’ve realized the flush ball seal isn’t holding water well. Suggestions for an upgrade? Is it just the seals go bad fast?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0753 View Post
That’s what toilet it is. I’ve realized the flush ball seal isn’t holding water well. Suggestions for an upgrade? Is it just the seals go bad fast?

If your toilet is not holding water in the bowl when you fill it, either the seal is fouled or the arms that hold the ball into the seal have come out of place... I would clean the seal (it pops right out) and check to the arms of the ball to make sure they are seated in the holes.

Dometic toilet no holding water.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=186810
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Dometic recalled several 300 toilets due to a bad assembly process that caused an internal seal to no seat correctly. Call Dometic with your model and serial number. If yours is on the recall list they will replace it for free or give you a discount on a upgrade model.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Alongside the flush pedal is the model and serial number. Call Dometic with that Info. Upgrade to the model 310 or 320 the 310 also comes with the anti slam wooden seat. Cost me $75 to upgrade including shipping. Well worth it!!!! The 300 model traps piss in the lower portion of the bowl. THROW IT AWAY!!!!
BAJAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Before you decide to pay for the upgrade, be sure to check the space requirements of the newer ones. Some of them require more clearance to the wall behind them and may not fit using the existing plumbing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Before you decide to pay for the upgrade, be sure to check the space requirements of the newer ones. Some of them require more clearance to the wall behind them and may not fit using the existing plumbing.
That was the case for me, only enough back-set room for the 300. We have not had any issues with the new one.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
I’ve recently installed a Siphon 360 on the black tank vent for odor issues from my last trip. This time I’ve noticed a semi strong ammonia smell building up in the bathroom. It’s not the refrigerator, it’s running fine. I also have rinsed the black tank with a Tornado twice now. Just emptied out the gray and black tanks to see if it goes away. I’ve poured water into the shower drain Incase the p-trap was dry (never used the shower). I’ve also switched to using Odorlos tank chemical instead of drop in packs. My tank has been rinsed since switching. Could the smell be the mixing of the two still? I’m stumped right now. We’ve never had this smell before. This is our fifth trip with our camper since we bought it last July. The smell seems like it hovers around higher in the bathroom. I doesn’t seem to come straight up out of the toilet when I flush it.
If you have a strong ammonia smell i would not think any waste tank since i've never had one that smelt like ammonia . how close is the fridge ? just because it's working now does not mean you don't have a slight leak , time will tell
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #10

Look at the back of the fridge...if you see any yellow powder on the coils you have a leak.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #11

Are you talking about the metal fins inside the fridge? Those are cold and have a little ice on them.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #12

Ammonia smell in a bathroom can also come from urine that's splashed out of the bowl or just plain missed. Trust me on this, I raised a couple of boys and went through the problem. Before blaming anything else, try a good cleanup around the "throne" and see if the smell goes away.

Face it, RV bathrooms are small places and it doesn't take much to make a smell seem huge.

As for refrigerator ammonia, if you have a leak from the refrigerator the refrigerator is probably not cooling. If it's still working that won't be it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Are you talking about the metal fins inside the fridge? Those are cold and have a little ice on them.
No ! outside in the access panel . how long has this smell been going on ? if it just started then i would suspect the fridge . could take a few days to notice if it quits cooling , So how long you had the smell will tell a lot . if your pee smells like strong ammonia i would see a doctor!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
if your pee smells like strong ammonia i would see a doctor!
The ammonia smell only shows up as the Nitrogen compounds in urine start to decompose. Think "Diaper Pail".

Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The ammonia smell only shows up as the Nitrogen compounds in urine start to decompose. Think "Diaper Pail".
Assuming the OP never cleans around his toilet then maybe so . how long it has smelled can tell a lot . guess we will know the outcome in a few days . just offering possibility's .
Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Assuming the OP never cleans around his toilet then maybe so . how long it has smelled can tell a lot . guess we will know the outcome in a few days . just offering possibility's .
TitanMike is right, and the problem with the Dometic 300 toilet is that it can collect urine inside of the toilet which will begin to give off an ammonia odor as it collects, evaporates, concentrates and decomposes. Also, urine that collects beneath the toilet at the floor and can’t be cleaned without pulling the toilet (capillary action) and beneath the seat hinges does the same thing.

I think if your pee doesn’t smell like strong ammonia in these circumstances, you may be the one who should see a doctor.

Bruce
Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #17

Since I’ve gotten the toilet seal to hold water better the smell has almost gone away. I can faintly smell it coming from the back side of the toilet still. Seems to be the source area. Reading the complaints about this model of toilet is leaning me in the direction that this is the problem. Our last trip three weeks ago we noticed a really strong urine smell. On that trip we brought our 14 yo nephew for the first time. So good possibility it’s the combination of the two.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #18

It's not necessarily just the 14 year old. As a person formerly on dialysis, currently with a kidney transplant... accidents happen. Especially in the middle of the night, because one has a bladder slightly larger than a walnut. I clean the toilet and floor just about every day we're in the camper-- for safety's sake. (My wife can't understand how it is possible to miss, even a little!)

david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
It's not necessarily just the 14 year old. As a person formerly on dialysis, currently with a kidney transplant... accidents happen. Especially in the middle of the night, because one has a bladder slightly larger than a walnut. I clean the toilet and floor just about every day we're in the camper-- for safety's sake. (My wife can't understand how it is possible to miss, even a little!)

Have you considered cutting the bottom out of a round wastebasket an setting it on the bowl with seat up?

I can attest that accidents do happen. I have recollections of the week following my bypass surgery, after being administered a strong diuretic to get rid of all the fluids they pumped in during the procedure.

Good thing I wasn't driving as I'd probably have to stop at every tree or power pole.[emoji6]

Old 06-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
TitanMike is right, and the problem with the Dometic 300 toilet is that it can collect urine inside of the toilet which will begin to give off an ammonia odor as it collects, evaporates, concentrates and decomposes. Also, urine that collects beneath the toilet at the floor and can’t be cleaned without pulling the toilet (capillary action) and beneath the seat hinges does the same thing.

I think if your pee doesn’t smell like strong ammonia in these circumstances, you may be the one who should see a doctor.

Bruce
I see there is an opening at the back of the toilet facing the wall. Is this the area that collects it? Any sense in spraying something in that area? I’ve wiped down all the areas outside the toilet and along the wall area.

Tags
bathroom, roo