Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

Amplifier on your TV Antenna?

My Surveyor 303 bless her heart can only pickup 1-1/2 stations using the antenna. We have sat but can only run one tv off of it. So for the other tv's we use antenna. Can you use some type of amplifier to get more channels?
2008 SURVEYOR 303
surveyor254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #2

Dear Surveyor:

I would bet you could, Surveyor, as there are lots of those kinds of units sold for other antennas. But, there may be better options. You will need to research your antenna, though, and find out from the manufacturer if it is a passive or active antenna already. Our 05 Wildwood comes with a crank-up Winegard antenna that is simply fabulous. We have our unit parked way out in the deep woods, and get loads of channels, and lots of HD channels. Of course, we are using a Samsung 19" HD LCD TV, which probably has a great HD tuner built in to it. (See recent posting on this).

Another thing that may help is that there are separate antennas that you can install onto your 18" satellite dish (I know I bought one as a clearance item at Lowes a year ago) and it clips on the satellite dish and you can tie it in to the satellite coax switch, or run a separate coax cable to your regular TV input feed connector on the outside of your trailer.

Better than that, though, is this new unit from Phillips, which is HDTV compatible. It is the Phillips MANT910. Check it out here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-MANT94...6005387&sr=8-3

...note that you can mount this INDOORS or OUTDOORS. And, you get FREE HDTV channels if you have a compatible TV. It's also a snap to install, just hook it up with a coax cable.

We were shocked to pick up like 30 free HD channels out in the woods! But, the key to that is having one of those newer LCD TVs with a built-in HD tuner. Like the Samsung 17" or Samsung 19" model. Worth every penny we paid for it. Today, for example, we watched "Robots", the animated movie with Robin Williams, in HD. It was great fun.

Still, you can beat satelllite TV for the selection...

Last, but not least, there is a good website called antennaweb.org, which you can visit, and plug in a zip code and it will tell you, right to the street level, what HD channels you can pick up, once you have the right gear.

Happy channel surfing.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Surveyor, your rig most likely has a wineguard antenna with built in amp.
I bet it is not working.
Do you have a little --tiny-- push button next to your antenna outlet??
When you push it in do you see a green LED???
If your amp is not turned on you will get zilch.
Sounds like you have a malfunction or operator error
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
...yea. Sometimes they get hooked up wrong...and don't bring in a signal.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #5

The main TV is where the amp button and green light are; and also you MUST run a new channel search EVERY TIME you move your camper to a new location- even if only 5 miles from home!! Found that out this past weekend!!But as Walk the Walk stated- I also get 20 to 25 great HD channels- clear as a bell. I absolutely love the set up on the TV and antenna!! (We won't discuss the concertone) but otherwise GREAT!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #6

We had the same trouble with our old camper.Come to find out the wires going to the Amp were crossed. I switched them around and it fixed the problem. Just a thought.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
We had the same trouble with our old camper.Come to find out the wires going to the Amp were crossed. I switched them around and it fixed the problem. Just a thought.
exactly what I'm saying! Mine were crossed in my KEYSTONE. I simply dropped the amp outlet, and switched the coax around. Done deal, good reception.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #8

The signal booster incorperated into the antenna is controlled by an on off switch located next to the cable connection. I have seen these fail for a number of reasons including cable shorting, not hooked up at all, and even a pinched cable wire in the ceiling where the antenna direction and lowering handle is located. This is something that should be checked by the manufacturers prior to being shipped.

Jim
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Surveyor254 has not replied.
I still want to know that he's turning it ON.
Don't overlook the basics!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna