Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Another leaking bathroom dome

Found water in my shower after a heavy downpour.
I hoping it was somehow coming from the faucet.
Of course that was not the case.

Cracked flange at all screws.
And one corner under the AC unit. Making for a fun time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_182033.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	207929

Used eternabond over luan as a temp fix.
Pic a little dark due to late night repair.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_205548.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	207930
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #2

Good patch work.
The eternabond tape is the way to go. My Sky light was leaking in my shower also. I put eternabond tape all the way around the edge of the Sky light and no leak for 3 years now.
I can see yours only look like it has the dicor caulk around it. Cover the screw heads and then use the eternabond tape.
Good luck!
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:14 AM   #3

My bath dome/skylight cracked in the middle about a year after I bought the TT. I removed all the Dicor type gooey stuff, then removed the screws and the skylight. I replaced it with a piece of galvanized sheet metal, used new screws to hold it down then sealed all around the edges with Dicor. Not a leak since and surely don't miss the skylight thingy

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

I don't think I'll miss it either. However, what you don't see in the pics is that I had to do this same type of patch to the bathroom vent last year. So my bathroom is completely sealed. I'll probably install the new electric vent I bought last year and haven't found time to do. I'll try to do a no screw installation, if not a minimum screw installation.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

No-screw installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSoldier919 View Post
I don't think I'll miss it either. However, what you don't see in the pics is that I had to do this same type of patch to the bathroom vent last year. So my bathroom is completely sealed. I'll probably install the new electric vent I bought last year and haven't found time to do. I'll try to do a no screw installation, if not a minimum screw installation.
Thinking about a no-screw installation.

I replaced a broken flat-plate skylight on a slideout by simply running Eternabond around all four edges and it does not leak. (The original pane was screwed down over butyl tape. Then Eternabond was applied to seal the edges and screwheads.)

In this case, if the trailer were to be moved, the slideout would be in. Doing an installation like this on the regular roof is another story and requires some thought.

There is a tremendous vacuum (upward aerodynamic force) on the roof of the trailer when driving at highway speeds. That's why the EPDM (rubber-like) roofs are cemented to the plywood underlayment with contact cement. The bond isn't always that strong; the cement could let go or the roof could pull an array of splinters from the plywood.

I would be afraid that attaching a bubble-type skylight to the EPDM membrane with Eternabond might cause the membrane to separate from the roof. Just sayin'.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #6

I had this happen on a new FR trailer back around 2010 or 11. This was the first year for the slightly rounded roof and what I found out was there was no roof support in that area causing the roof to flex when driving down the highway and the dome would crack and leak. It cracked where it was screwed to the roof and no matter how much self-leveling sealant I put on it would not stop it. The dealer replaced 3 domes before I figured out what was going on and they confirmed what I found. Sometime after that, FR recalled the 10th-anniversary models. I'm not saying this is the problem with yours but it might be a good idea to check. I took all the inside framing off in the shower and also the bathroom vent to see into the area that was giving me the trouble. I later traded the trailer because I was afraid of what the water damage may have done over that year period.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

I think FlexSeal white, you can buy by the gallon at Lowes. Clean, fix, then even coat whole roof
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

Hailstorm broke all my covers on the roof. I found the shower skylight cover on Amazon that even had the pre drilled screw holes. I removed the broken cover and all the old dicor and cleaned it good with mineral spirits. Laid down a double row of butyl tape and screwed it down. Then I covered the joint with a heavy bead of leveling dicor. After that set up well, the next day I put down a good overlap of dicor and covered all screw heads. Came out better than factory. Of course it took me a lot longer than the thirty seconds it probably took the Amish worker when he did it at the Creek factory!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I think FlexSeal white, you can buy by the gallon at Lowes. Clean, fix, then even coat whole roof
I'd be real cautious about using FlexSeal on an RV roof. I contains hydrocarbons that can damage roof materials. FlexSeal is a cheap product that's essentially a simple liquid rubber that works fine on metal but on EPDM, not great. On TPO probably not recommended either.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'd be real cautious about using FlexSeal on an RV roof. I contains hydrocarbons that can damage roof materials. FlexSeal is a cheap product that's essentially a simple liquid rubber that works fine on metal but on EPDM, not great. On TPO probably not recommended either.
Well, maybe just rip off that crappy material cover that is leaking, and seal whats left underneath with flex seal. I know it works on plywood.

I tell you what, you can mix PL premium polyurethane construction adhesive and sawdust (40% sawdust or so max) and seal up even big gaps in wood, then overcoat with something like flexseal and it will be dry. I have an old wooden 37 foot boat, and I have done extensive hull repairs, I know how to get a dry waterproof hull.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
I had this happen on a new FR trailer back around 2010 or 11. This was the first year for the slightly rounded roof and what I found out was there was no roof support in that area causing the roof to flex when driving down the highway and the dome would crack and leak. It cracked where it was screwed to the roof and no matter how much self-leveling sealant I put on it would not stop it. The dealer replaced 3 domes before I figured out what was going on and they confirmed what I found. Sometime after that, FR recalled the 10th-anniversary models. I'm not saying this is the problem with yours but it might be a good idea to check. I took all the inside framing off in the shower and also the bathroom vent to see into the area that was giving me the trouble. I later traded the trailer because I was afraid of what the water damage may have done over that year period.
I have a 2004 Flagstaff. Flat roof.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, leak, roo