Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Antenna

I just bought a new 19" hdtv with a digital tuner and when I hook it up it doesn't pick up worth a D***!! We were on the mountain and it was fine. The cable is good and we just bought a wingman for the wineguard and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My home cable has a booster that plugs in to a 110 outlet, I wonder if one of those would help.I would like to know if all the digital channels are at full power yet. We live in the city not in the boonies so we should pick up a little better. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
UNIT6AUBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2

Most of the stations are not transmitting yet in Digital, not until June. Aside from that I have NEVER had a good picture using the antennas on any RV I have ever owned. In my opinion they are useless as you know what on a boar. When we took delivery of our new Georgetown the first thing I did was to rip the TV antenna off the roof and replace it with a satellite dish. Sorry but TV antennas on RVs just aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #3

As long as my camper is setting in my driveway I can pick up most local channels with the antenna laying down on the roof and it is a great picture. Our camper is in Hershey PA and I am picking up digital channels off of the RV antenna. The main tv is hooked up to satellite but the one in the bedroom is hooked up to the antenna and that is the one that is receiving digital channels. So I guess it depends on location and availability. As stated above the RV antennas are a wast, you might as well hang a wind sock on it.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Team

I have a little different opinion. My antenna does really well for where we are most of the time. Your RV antenna has a booster built in and if it's turned on and working, it usually does a pretty good job of picking up signals. While it won't rival satellite or cable it does a pretty good job of picking up OTA (off the air) signals. At least in my experience.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Team

I believe that most if not all stations are now broadcasting in digital.
Many are still broadcasting in analog as well but the digital signals are out there.
If you are in doubt call the station!

Not sure about the rest of your message...... Did your new HDTV work on the mountain
but now it doesn't work at home?? Is that what you're saying?
Are you sure your RV antenna amplifier is on?? Do you see the little green light
next to the outlet where you connect your TV antenna?
If it is not on you won't get a signal.

I agree that these "bat wing" antennas aren't great but they do work if you are
in a location where there is decent signal strength. I found the wingman did help
somewhat but you have to have some signal to begin with. The wingman is directional
so your antenna needs to be pointed at the transmitter tower.

Most digital TVs have dual tuners. They can receive digital and analog.
Are you able to receive TV stations on analog?? If you're not getting analog either
then you have problems not related to digital. If your analog signal is full of snow
then you aren't going to get digital.
Folks in the fringe areas are going to be out of luck when the analog signals stop in
June.

Some stations have already stopped broadcasting in analog but most are still sending
dual signals. Call your stations to see what's up. (Our local PBS stations have stopped
transmitting in analog.)

I also live in the suburbs of a large city. Even though I have a 2 story house and I
can see "forever" when I'm on my roof we have always had weak TV.
I had a full size winegard roof antenna with UHF booster array and inline 20 db signal
amplifier for 25 years. We still had some snow and mediocre reception on cloudy
days. Do you get clear signal at home using rabbit ears?? Maybe you are in one
of those dreaded "dead zones"???
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

Just a thought.....You do know that any time you move your rig to a new location, you have to do a channel search/scan for the tuner to find the local channels. It begins in analog mode, then switches to digital mode and finds the remaining channels. I've found that not all that is found is actually watchable, because of either snow/drifting on analog, or digital freezes on digital. With my camper in the driveway at home, I get 20 decent channels- don't think that's too bad! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I have a little different opinion. My antenna does really well for where we are most of the time. Your RV antenna has a booster built in and if it's turned on and working, it usually does a pretty good job of picking up signals. While it won't rival satellite or cable it does a pretty good job of picking up OTA (off the air) signals. At least in my experience.
I havent seen a light but I will look again. We have a 2005 surveyor.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #8

When we were on the mountain we got all kind of channels. I only live 5-6 miles as the crow flies and only pick up public television in digital and very snowy analog. Seems like it was better without the batwing thing.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT6AUBURN View Post
I havent seen a light but I will look again. We have a 2005 surveyor.
On the wall plate that the cable from the tv screws into there should be a tiny push button with a light that comes on when the switch is activated.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Are you SURE your antenna booster is on???
Should be a little green led next to the antenna outlet.
It has a push button to turn it on.
Without that lite you aren't going to get diddly on TV!!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
On the wall plate that the cable from the tv screws into there should be a tiny push button with a light that comes on when the switch is activated.
FOUND THE BUTTON!!!!!!! It was hid behind the cable. It was just a small black button. My wife heard me Bitc*** and checked while I was at work. Now we got about 15 channels

Thanks for everyones help, I love you guys!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #12

That's great, sometimes it's the smallest things that make one happy. Glad you are up and running.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
Site Team

I LOVE a happy ending!!!

Hope all your troubles are this easy to fix!

Happy Camping!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT6AUBURN View Post
FOUND THE BUTTON!!!!!!! It was hid behind the cable. It was just a small black button. My wife heard me Bitc*** and checked while I was at work. Now we got about 15 channels

Thanks for everyones help, I love you guys!!!!!!!!

Also remember when not in use to turn it off when not connected to shore power.It will drain yout battery in a hurry.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #15

thanks

Tags
antenna