Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Antenna issues

We have an 06 Forrest river Cardinal 5th wheel. It has a place for a tv in the living room area and one in the bedroom. In the bedroom it has a hook up that says "cable" and one that says "satellite". I've hooked up to each one and nothing from my tv but static.

I've cranked up the antenna and nothing.

I have DISH working on the tv in the living room.

Whats the problem?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

The problem is that the cables are probably not connected to anything. Or they are connected via a splitter which new sat equipment does not like at all. You will need to have a direct connection run from the antenna to a sat receiver to get a signal. You might possible get away using a single receiver and a splitter from the output to two TV's, but that means you must watch the same picture on both TV sets.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

Thanks Donn.....but the tv works fine in the living room via DISH satellite receiver. I found a place where it says "antenna" and has a power on/off switch. I've hooked directly to that with the 2nd tv (its in the cabinet where the main tv is) and it scanned channels and found some, then before a picture would come up, it said "No signal". I took it back to the bedroom and hooked it up to the cable port and it wouldn't pick up any channels during the scan. Something isn't right.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

The power switch is for the off air antenna. Hooking to this can damage a sat receiver in no time. DO NOT DO THAT! My Cedar Creek only had a single antenna input in the BR as I remember. I believe that one was connected to the off air antenna. When I had my sat antenna installed they were kind enough to install two cables in the BR and two in the LR. That way I can run two sat receivers with no more issues. I also seem to remember that there is a splitter in the line between the LR and BR which as I said will kill a sat signal. Off air signals should cone through if you have the off air antenna up and rotated to the proper location to get a signal. Then you can turn on the signal booster. Of course you now need a new antenna and converter to get a picture thanks to the feds.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

R u wanting to view the sat rec in both places?
The reg tv antenna may need to b rotsted abt 1/4 turn at a time and rrscaned until u get somrthing. If the tv has a signal strenth meyer buried in tne menus, it can b a big help. The switch on the ant jack (jack may also have a dc socket on it) must be on (led lit on face plate). Turning that on puts power to the tv ant and inside cable connection to tv ant.
If ur wanting anything other than viewing tv from the ant at both tv's and sat at only one tv (the one next to the sat rec), let us know. There is a wireless solution to that.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Remember, you should have the TV on channel 3 to use the Dish TV signal.
If you expect a different channel on the Bedroom TV, you will need a seperate receiver.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #7

i still don't know if i'm on the right track or not.
just going back to getting a tv signal to the second set with the antenna. at this point if the sat isn't hooked up, that's ok.
if u could feed a vcr or something into the cable jack outside and turn the tv amp off, u could see if u could watch tv in both location. if u can, there is no problem with the wire leading from the cable wall plate with the switch light not on. turn the switch on, it has switched from outside cable connection to outside tv ant and should feed tv1 and 2 inside.
if u know of a local channel, tune the converter box (tv if a newer one) to it and try rotating the ant in small segments until u get something. if ur a little off, the scan will recognize a station but when u try to watch, it will show weak or no signal and there will be no picture.
a problem i had with mine was a loose connection at the antenna; i could wiggle the connection but the male/female parts (cable) were tight. if this is the case, unscrew the cable at the antenna and tighten that nut on the f female.
if u can move that with ur finger, the ant connection (ground side) won't make much if any useable contact. hold the female on the end to keep from turning it when tightening the nut. when u unscrew the cable u should be able to see the nut on the outside of the tv ant connector.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehlendt
I think someone mentioned it above, but you say you have an 06 Fiver. Has the antenna been upgraded to receive the new HD signals? The old one's won't work anymore.
Reese WD Hitch
"Get busy living.....or get busy dying."
Ehlendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlendt View Post
I think someone mentioned it above, but you say you have an 06 Fiver. Has the antenna been upgraded to receive the new HD signals? The old one's won't work anymore.
This is not true. The antennas are fine since they are designed to receive VHF and UHF signals. What changed is the tuner inside the TV. The "over the air" part is still long wave UHF and VHF. How the DATA is packaged changed from Analog to Digital format. You will need a newer tuner to decrypt the signal the antenna receives.

Having said that, a better antenna will allow you to receive UHF stations (the lion share of digital channels) from further away. Adding the Winegard Wingman to your existing Sensar antenna will increase its UHF range from 10 to 50 miles.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehlendt
Sorry. I have HD stuck on the brain. Digital is the correct wording.

Herk, are you saying that the old, pre digital, antennas will still pull a digital signal that a new tv with digital capabilities can display? Thanks

Reese WD Hitch
"Get busy living.....or get busy dying."
Ehlendt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna