Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #21

LCD or LED?

Does anyone know which is best for RVs ___LCD or LED???? I heard somewhere that one of them freezes in the winter in unheated RVs. Is that true? Which one is better.
dayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Won't work on your TV. Converters only have RCA plug outputs. Red, Yellow, White pulgs.
Here's a pic of the connections available on my set & a scan of the instructions.

Do I just hook up the DTV converter to the red, yellow & white inputs marked "AV1 IN"?

Unlike on the US TV channels where there was PSAs about the inpending DTV switch for about a year before the switch, I haven't seen anything on TV here in Canada. So I don't think I'm the only person that's in the dark about all this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynex TV Connection Pics 001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynex TV Connections.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	3550  

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #23

That TV is from the USA I have the same make a Dynex I beleive.Am I right?If so hook it up, scan on input [antena] and it will work it is a HD compatable TV ...no box is needed....
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I posted earlier that it's marked NTSC, I thought a TV had to be ATSC-compatible to receive DTV signals?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #25

LCD or Plasma not LED that is for lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayz View Post
Does anyone know which is best for RVs ___LCD or LED???? I heard somewhere that one of them freezes in the winter in unheated RVs. Is that true? Which one is better.
No Tv is built with LED You have LCD and Plasma no useing Plasma in rough rideing RV is what I was told also they do not like the cold but a LCD is also best to let stand and get warm if real cold Liquid Quartz Display is also risky to use I have had no trouble but warm the Tv before useing Mine .
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I posted earlier that it's marked NTSC, I thought a TV had to be ATSC-compatible to receive DTV signals?
What do I know? What is NTSC and ATSC stand for?You tell Me! I said the TV should work and I still think it will.. Is it a Dynex from Best Buy...??????????
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
What do I know? What is NTSC and ATSC stand for?You tell Me! I said the TV should work and I still think it will.. Is it a Dynex from Best Buy...??????????
Search this forum for ATSC and you will find a complete discussion on the topic. Here is what I posted on one such.

Gosh where to start.

I guess "magic" won't work here.

I will limit this to "over the air" tuners and leave cable out of it.

There are primarily two types of over the air tuners in the US (Does Canada use PAL? - No idea but that would be three)

There is the NTSC tuner type (National Television Systems Committee) that is the previous standard by which Analog TV signals were broadcast. All "old" TVs and some newer "Digital Ready" TVs have NTSC tuners. They receive the 3-13 and UHF channels BUT not the new digital channels.

These TVs use the same outdoor antenna (as long as they receive UHF) as digital. There is NO difference between the old and new sets as far as the antennas go. As I posted earlier, the Frequencies of the broadcast did not change, just how the information was packaged and sent over that frequency.

In order to receive digital television signals on these older sets and "digital ready" sets, you must convert the new standard to the old NTSC one. More on these in a bit.

The NEW standard is called ATSC. (Advanced Television Systems Committee. The Digital Standard. ALL TVs made today have ATSC tuners in them (plus a cable one but that's another issue - remember "cable ready" blah blah) and can receive broadcast digital high definition (up to their maximum capability - there is more than one high def standard) from any over the air antenna that will receive VHF and UHF signals.

So, if your camper has a new set (almost all flat screens) with an ATSC tuner, your just crank up your 1983 Winegard antenna; turn on the TV; do a scan and channel 17.3 comes in clear as a bell.

BUT if you have a 1983 TV in there you have a problem. IT has a NTSC tuner. It does NOT receive ATSC signals. You just get SNOW.

So, what is a mother to do? You buy an ATSC to NTSC converter box for 50 bucks.

This becomes your new tuner. You set your old TV to your aux input, (the red yellow white phono plugs that your Atari plugged into) OR you set the TV to channel 3 or 4 and use the RF output of the converter box.

You get a brand new remote since you will be changing channels on the converter box from now on. The RV antenna now hooks up to the converter box, and it happily swallows that meaningless snow and turns it into TV channels again. Hello, channel 17.3 on the converter box.

Coby - ATSC Standard-Definition Converter Box - DTV102

So, long story longer, your friends from Myrtle Beach most likely had a new TV that has the new digital tuner in it. They literally did not have to do anything but turn it on; do a scan; and watch TV.

If they had an older set, they would need a box to get the new channels.

Whew...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Lou, PAL is not used in Canada.

The TV was bought in Canada & I haven't got the manual in front of me. I just checked the Dynex site & they list a Dynex DX-L19-10A. I wonder is the A & C suffixes represent American & Canadian models?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
As of 2010[update], there are no requirements that new televisions sold in Canada include digital tuners (as they must in the US market), nor are there any labelling requirements for analogue-only receivers; many new television receivers are therefore unable to tune a digital signal without an external ATSC tuner. Manufacturers now legally unable to export analogue-only NTSC equipment to the US may have an incentive to redirect this inventory to Canada. As of 2010[update], an estimated 900000 Canadians currently relying on antennas stand to lose all OTA TV reception in 2011, as not ready for the digital transition.
(My bolding)

The way things are run up here, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that any word of the changeover will be just before the actual date (Aug' 31, 2011). People won't have a clue as to what to do when their picture turns to snow. I know the CBS affiliate out of Buffalo had ads on the TV for at least a year before the switch.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

I was aware of that. This was a cut and paste from a post about 8 months ago on another thread. I had no idea Canada did not mandate ATSC tuners in new TVs.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I had no idea Canada did not mandate ATSC tuners in new TVs.
Probably the industry said, "The Canadian market isn't big enough for us to change the Canadian models. Can you cut us some slack?" The gov't said, Yea, you don't need to make your current product ATSC-compatible."

Knowing what I know now, should've asked more question & done more research before I bought the set in Jan'.

Tags
antenna