Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

Antenna won't turn

We bought our camper in February and do not have a TV. Yesterday I decided to exercise the TV antenna since we have not used it at all. I was able to raise the antenna with no problem. I pulled down on the "wheel" and tried to turn it, but it would NOT turn. I didn't want to force anything, but it would not turn. Am I missing something. The dealer did show us how it worked, but it has been a few months...

Thanks,
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

There's a little plug that you can remove and squirt silicone oil into part of the mechanism, and you should 'wash down' the exposed worm gear with silicone oil.

The area under the skirt around the edges should also be liberally sprayed with the same.

A common problem is that, during installation, some of the Dicor sealant gets between the stator and rotor on the antenna. Check for that, and also, squirt liberal amounts of silicone lubricant under the skirt of the rotating joint.

Oughta do it!.

BTW: Don't use WD-40, or any other petro-based lubes on a membrane roof! (And clean up the residual silicone with a paper towel. There should be lots of residual, if you do it right!!!)

Then raise the antenna and rock it back and forth until it loosens up. There are a lot of aluminum parts touching each other in there, and they need to be un-married.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

kinda like stated above - go on the roof and check it out after you raise the antenna - had seen a few posts about silicone in the mechanism keeping it from turning so might be worth a shot to look at that as well.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
There's a little plug that you can remove and squirt silicone oil into part of the mechanism, and you should 'wash down' the exposed worm gear with silicone oil.
Be careful removing the worm gear nut. Be sure the antennae raising mechanism is not under pressure. I found this out the hard way.

For a camper that was bought in February, and maybe being unfamiliar with the inner workings of the antennae lift system, I think I would have someone on the inside pull down the locking ring, and someone on the roof "gently" turn the antennae until it frees up.

Here is a diagram of the Sensara, and also "vague" directions on how to lubricate the 0-rings: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

did u try turning it in both directions? it has a stop in it when the arrows line up.
i don't know how much force u used but it does take a little effort to move it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Mine was brand new, and would not turn, when I inspected it, it had sealant around it and was causing it not to move. I just removed a little from where it turns and it works perfect.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Site Team

There was a learning curve for me to learn on how much force is needed to move it. Now that I have done it a couple of times it does get a bit easier.

I was afraid of breaking it but when my s-i-l showed me on her 5th wheel I could see that it does take a bit of work.

You could always check another tt on the dealer's lot and see how easy or not it turns.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Be careful removing the worm gear nut. Be sure the antennae raising mechanism is not under pressure. I found this out the hard way.

For a camper that was bought in February, and maybe being unfamiliar with the inner workings of the antennae lift system, I think I would have someone on the inside pull down the locking ring, and someone on the roof "gently" turn the antennae until it frees up.

Here is a diagram of the Sensara, and also "vague" directions on how to lubricate the 0-rings: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf
The "Little Plug" is a plastic plug, about 1/4" o.d. that pops off the top of the unit to accept lubricant. Not the big nut over the worm gear.

Sorry if I was vague. I'm kinda known for that when my brain is outrunning my fingers.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #9

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies! I did try and move it in both directions without any luck. I tried to turn it as hard as I dared, but was afraid of breaking something. I will climb up on the roof and have my wife stay inside the camper. Hopefully between the two of us and some silicone spray we can get it moving!
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna