Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #1

Anti-sway Bars and Backing....II

A thread was posted on this issue by VAlover on 9-18-09, I had some concerns after reading all of the replies. I have the Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution and Sway Control Hitch with 12,000 lbs spring bars, and have used this system for nine years now.
I made a phone call to Reese yesterday about this issue and my thoughts on it, so this is what I said to the Tech:
" I have the Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution and Sway Control Hitch. I have not had any problems with backing into a site and never noticed any damage to the hitch system. Here is my concerns; now I don't know how important this is but correct me if I am wrong, once one unhooks the DCWD&S system doesn't this change the weight rating to the minimum of the receiver capacity? Now granted when the camper is being hooked up for travel the last thing that go's on is the DCWD&S control bars and the camper is already hooked to the hitch and the receiver but the tow vehicle and camper is just setting there, by removing them before backing up into a site and changing the weight rating on the receiver, will this affect the integrity or damage the receiver by pushing and pulling the weight of the camper into a site over time?"
The answer I received from the Tech was "Yes It is a very good possibility that damage could occur and he said this is the first time anyone has ask these questions. He said that the system I have with the square spring bars should not be an issue however, If I get close to a 90 degree angle this when it can become an issue, he recommends having someone else back up the camper at 90 degrees and check to see how close the spring bars are to the hitch. The Tech also said if you don't have to release the bars then don't but of course if you are in a tight spot then you have no choice.
mtnguy, your reply to the thread was excellent advice.
If you are not sure what you can do with your hitch system contact your Dealer and get the phone # to the hitch Manufacture and call them direct. If you have a Reese System here is the # 888-521-0510.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
A thread was posted on this issue by VAlover on 9-18-09, I had some concerns after reading all of the replies. I have the Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution and Sway Control Hitch with 12,000 lbs spring bars, and have used this system for nine years now.
I made a phone call to Reese yesterday about this issue and my thoughts on it, so this is what I said to the Tech:
" I have the Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution and Sway Control Hitch. I have not had any problems with backing into a site and never noticed any damage to the hitch system. Here is my concerns; now I don't know how important this is but correct me if I am wrong, once one unhooks the DCWD&S system doesn't this change the weight rating to the minimum of the receiver capacity? Now granted when the camper is being hooked up for travel the last thing that go's on is the DCWD&S control bars and the camper is already hooked to the hitch and the receiver but the tow vehicle and camper is just setting there, by removing them before backing up into a site and changing the weight rating on the receiver, will this affect the integrity or damage the receiver by pushing and pulling the weight of the camper into a site over time?"
The answer I received from the Tech was "Yes It is a very good possibility that damage could occur and he said this is the first time anyone has ask these questions. He said that the system I have with the square spring bars should not be an issue however, If I get close to a 90 degree angle this when it can become an issue, he recommends having someone else back up the camper at 90 degrees and check to see how close the spring bars are to the hitch. The Tech also said if you don't have to release the bars then don't but of course if you are in a tight spot then you have no choice.
mtnguy, your reply to the thread was excellent advice.
If you are not sure what you can do with your hitch system contact your Dealer and get the phone # to the hitch Manufacture and call them direct. If you have a Reese System here is the # 888-521-0510.
rockwood06, it is great that you actually called Reese to check on this......that pretty much confirms those of us questioned the stress of a heavy tongue weight on a standard reciever setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
He said that the system I have with the square spring bars should not be an issue however, If I get close to a 90 degree angle this when it can become an issue, he recommends having someone else back up the camper at 90 degrees and check to see how close the spring bars are to the hitch. The Tech also said if you don't have to release the bars then don't but of course if you are in a tight spot then you have no choice..
There was a recent thread on RV.net concerning a rub problem with the Reese Dual Cam with trunnion bars. Seems that if you have a 6" tongue frame, with the coupler mounted to the top of the frame, then that is when it becomes a problem. That is just the setup that I have. After conferring with a knowledgeable member of that forum a number of times, and a few calls to Reese, I have prevented the problem with the trunnion bar rubbing the frame/yoke bolt, but it still will rub the yoke itself during a sharp turn. The solution that we came up with was to use a 1" raised ball. That basically gives me the setup of a 5" tongue frame with the couple on top......a better setup for the trunnion bar Reese. The trunnion bar against the yoke rub is still a concern, so I am careful about getting too much of an angle between the truck and trailer. I think a 2" raised ball would completely eliminate the rub, but the Reese tech said the 1" should work, and never directly gave the OK for the 2" raised ball.

The 1" raised ball that I use has a 25,000 capacity. It ain't pretty chrome, and will rust.

The Reese tech also told me that there is no rub problems with the round bar setup for the 6" tongue frames with the coupler on top. The dealer probably didn't know that, and of course I was not aware of it when I bought my trailer.

Here is the thread on RV.net: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...5.cfm#22203495

And here is my setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Setup.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1928

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

It's really a non issue, to me. I have the Dual Cam Reese setup as well, and I just go ahead and remove it upon arrival to the campground. After pulling in the main gate, I'll usually find an off the road spot to pull over and remove the bars. Two reasons for this; One is you really don't need them at the low speeds in the parks, and Two is the irritating noises associated with the Reese setup. YES, the truck sags down a little bit, but it isn't bad, and they are out of the way for turning sharp; and you are about to remove them anyway! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Randy, I think the point of this thread is to make people realize that they might be overloading their truck reciever by putting the whole weight of the tongue on the hitch, even for the short distance from the check-in station to their camping site. I looked up the stats on your 30WRLS. It lists a 812 lb dry tongue weight. With propane and a battery added, plus the wieght of the hitch itself, I betcha that figure will go up some where around 200 lbs.......I know mine did......from a listed 559 lb. weight in the brochure, to a 720 lb. weigh coming back from the dealer. Depending on how you load the camper, that could be even more. Most recievers that I have seen had a 500 lb. weight carrying capacity. If that is the stats on your hitch, then even with the short haul in the campground, you are doubling the intended carrying capacity of hitch. Hit a bump or pothole too hard, and even more stress would be added.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn guy View Post
Randy, I think the point of this thread is to make people realize that they might be overloading their truck receiver by putting the whole weight of the tongue on the hitch, even for the short distance from the check-in station to their camping site. I looked up the stats on your 30WRLS. It lists a 812 lb dry tongue weight. With propane and a battery added, plus the weight of the hitch itself, I betcha that figure will go up some where around 200 lbs.......I know mine did......from a listed 559 lb. weight in the brochure, to a 720 lb. weigh coming back from the dealer. Depending on how you load the camper, that could be even more. Most receivers that I have seen had a 500 lb. weight carrying capacity. If that is the stats on your hitch, then even with the short haul in the campground, you are doubling the intended carrying capacity of hitch. Hit a bump or pothole too hard, and even more stress would be added.
mtnguy, you are 100% correct, to make people aware of this issue. It could cost them in the end.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Head Rambler

I appreciate the info. I started to reply to this thread yesterday and deleted my post because I use a Equal-i-zer, but the issue is the same if you remove the bars and leave the load on the hitch.