Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Antifreeze coming out city connection after winterizing

2018 Cruise Lite 263 bhxl. Winterized unit yesterday by blowing lines with compressed air then running antifreeze through.

I noticed today evidence of where the pink antifreeze had came out the city water connection and puddled on the ground.

I looked under bunk where city connection enters trailer and there was a trail of pink on the wall under where the line comes in and a puddle of pink on the floor.

This is my first time winterizing myself and I'm confused as to why this happened. I probably would not have ever noticed had I not seen the bright pink so I'm not sure if this has been an ongoing issue with water.

I've done a little digging and all I can figure is a bad check valve at the city water connection, or the fitting is loose. I didn't want to take anything apart since it's all winterized now.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and will this continue to leak inside all winter? Can I leave it like this till spring?

Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

If you winterized using a line off the water pump, then one of the things that happens is the line from the city water connection to the pump will also "pressurize" with the water pump trying to force the antifreeze up that line. That water pressure is most likely what caused the leaking, absent any bad connections. What you should do after putting in the antifreeze, is take the screen off the city water hose connection inlet and press the little button. That will open the check valve and depressurize the line. It will also allow the antifreeze to make its way up the line.

One word of caution when you press the button. Do not stand in front of it, unless you like getting antifreeze all over you (BTDT).

Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Team

It sounds like you have 2 problems...

AF coming out the city water connection sounds like the little check valve located in the end has not seated.
You might be able to remove the screen if there is one and wiggle it gently to get it to seat.

Leaks inside sound like a loose fitting somewhere.

Good luck!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Team

What pressure was the compressor set at when you blew out the lines. If it was too high, you may have damaged the check valve in the city water inlet. If you have been using the water system w/pump during the season , then the check valve was working properly at that time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
What pressure was the compressor set at when you blew out the lines. If it was too high, you may have damaged the check valve in the city water inlet. If you have been using the water system w/pump during the season , then the check valve was working properly at that time.
My thoughts exactly.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

The ones I've repaired, there is a o-ring in that valve that will blow out under high back pressure. I've had to remove the fitting completely from the camper, found a socket that fit exact the size of the o-ring and was able to reseat the ring and reinstall the fitting and it worked fine.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
If you winterized using a line off the water pump, then one of the things that happens is the line from the city water connection to the pump will also "pressurize" with the water pump trying to force the antifreeze up that line. That water pressure is most likely what caused the leaking, absent any bad connections. What you should do after putting in the antifreeze, is take the screen off the city water hose connection inlet and press the little button. That will open the check valve and depressurize the line. It will also allow the antifreeze to make its way up the line.

One word of caution when you press the button. Do not stand in front of it, unless you like getting antifreeze all over you (BTDT).
You can also depressurize the entire system by turning on any faucet.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #8

Compressor was set to around 35 or 40 psi. Was a faucet supposed to be opened before air was put to the system? I charged system first then went in to open faucets. Hoping I did not damage anything.
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1 View Post
Compressor was set to around 35 or 40 psi. Was a faucet supposed to be opened before air was put to the system? I charged system first then went in to open faucets. Hoping I did not damage anything.
Most of the fixed water pressure regulators that you can buy are set somewhere around 40-50 PSI. Supposedly newer RVs are capable of 110 PSI, although I would never try. Older ones should take 50 PSI or so. So no, the air pressure you used should have been fine even with everything off.

Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, winter